Now we know for certain, birds have superpowers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Idk, it seemed convincing to me, but I appreciate your perspective

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They know beacoup, they just aint talkin;)

In my very prone to earthquakes country, it has long been believed that animals show signs of a quake about to happen. Shortly before the 8.8 quake hit our northern territory, twenty of the very rare oarfish stranded themselves up on beaches near the quake zone. Even seeing one in a lifetime is considered a very unusual event. Those are near bottom dwelling fish. Snakes leaving their hibernating areas is another sign that some believe. At least one scientific study documented the strange behaviour of water dwelling toads before a quake.

It must take a hell of a lot to survive in the wild. I guess they need all the help they can get, we probably dont understand a fraction of a percentage of how they interact with their surroundings.

Pretty cool.

I sometimes watch English sparrows outside my windows. I might be twenty below and the wind blowing forty MPH. That little bugger is puffed out, sitting on a branch. No reasonable explanation as to why he might live to see tomorrow. But, sometimes he does. Stuff like that blows me away.

Birds that survive in cold climates have some kind of blood circulation going on. When I picked up the crow I had, it was really revealing how hot his body was under his feathers, I mean literally hot.

What intrigues me the most about birds is their migrations. Especially the Terns. They fly for thousands of miles over the oceans, day and night, rain or shine, without reference points, and they know exactly where they are going.

Here's a map of the sooty Terns migration. They were tracked with radio tags.

bird-migration_big.jpg

Back