Northern Red Oak, Quercus rubra care and preservation.

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Hey all, I have a northern red oak, as best I can ID.

It is way outside its native range and huge for an oak around here, as I expected to show up to the homes and see Geary oak, Oregon White Oak. Typically, much smaller than this 4' dbh Rubra

Care, concerns, experiences?

Oak wilt is not on the first oak wilt distribution maps that I saw.

The HO is new in the house, and is doing a lot of fixer projects, which will include a new roof (under the tree). Often nice not to work over a brand new roof and get it a bit dirty, especially since we will likely lower onto the roof, as all the ends to be reduced are over the house.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
6yqymure.jpg
suby7yba.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sean, the bark doesn't match a northern red and the leaf lobes seem to be rounded where they are pointed on a red oak, think it may be a bur oak, quercus macrocarpa.

Thanks. We only have a smattering of Oregon white oak. I forgot to bring a leaf/ branch sample, and will try to get one for confirmation. I was working of the pictures upon arriving home. The Virginia tech tree ID app woulda been handy.

Looks similar to a white oak but I cant shoot from the hip not knowing what species you have out there.

Only Oregon white oak, quercus garryana. A non native oak.

Seemed from pics that bur oak has a noticably rounded tip on the leaf.

I will look into Scarlet oak. Thanks for the idea.

BTW, the previous owner was a 'tree person' and planted a European Beech as well, from what I can tell...Fagus sylvatica.

Definitely not Bur Oak. But Oak has deep furrowed bark when it matures. Can you describe the area that the tree is growing in Sean? Upland? Bottomland?

Sean, looks like Black oak to me...

Doesnt look like a red or pin oak

It is growing in a backyard overlooking Capitol Lake in downtown Olympia. The homeowner of one year stated that it is well drained soil. Two old, large pruning wounds might be visible on the house side. The yard on the opposite side of the tree trunk goes about ten feet to a retaining wall, followed by a lower concrete/ brick terrace, with the hillside dropping off below, down a couple hundred vertical feet to the distant lake.
Full sun. Tree dominates the area. Seems wider than tall, maybe 100+/- ', by 75-80'.

Stephen, should I take that as said tongue in cheek?

I don't believe it's a northern red either .On a red oak the bark is darker and more coarse .To tell you the truth that bark looks like an ash .I have no idea what type of oak it is .Nothing that grows in these parts

Attachments

• Red Oak 044.jpg
    Red Oak 044.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 42
Scarlet or black are good guesses; Shumard also gets that big. a pic of the branch ends would give a hint of the plan; why reduce?

Sean we have lots of these down here, most folks just say red oak or Scarlett.
I have one in my backyard and recently tried to ID it more specifically but couldn't find anything that matches exactly, it's the weird smooth-ish bark without the deep furrows that throws me. Sweet trees though. I'd love to know exactly what it is too

Guy, the new homeowner is concerned about the long extended trunks over the house. Two leads broke off at about 6" that had to have landed on the house, or it was an old bad pruning/ heading job that has regrown shoots. It is almost touching the neighbor's house. A chance for a climbing inspection, too. New roof this year

20% reduction max on the trunks being pruned (these trunks make up maybe 10% of the canopy, 3-4" max pruning wounds max.

Haven't been to town yet for a sample, working locally the last couple days.

Back