Trailer and Red Oak

• Thread starter htpd43
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2K
H

htpd43

Hi everybody.
So I got this trailer last year with the intentions of using to haul firewood with. I bought stake pockets and will, at some point, weld them on. I have stacked firewood on it and strapped it down with no problems. I have done most of my own cutting, but every once in a while it's already done and all i have to do is pick it up. Then I started seeing some milling pictures and videos and I am dying to try it. I've been trying to get some wood from a few tree companies in the area but they usually tell me they have tons and then never follow through with letting me have it. I've been able to score some nice cedar and I think I finally managed to get one of the guys in the area to give me a steady supply of whatever he takes down. The first tree I got from him is red oak.
Yesterday I went and met with him and the guy was nice enough to load it with a crane. He even told me that if I was willing to help him load in the future I could just drive the truck home and unload rather than having to use the trailer.
So I got loaded up and went on my way. My 25 minute ride home turned into about 4 hours becasue, of course, I really loaded the trailer and managed to get a flat on the way home. The truck jack was not strong enough to lift the trailer with the weight so I had to call a tow truck. The driver was able to get the flat bed under the stands at the back of the tilt bed. Between that and a jack we were able to get the old tire off and put a new one on. of course I live in a hilly area and no matter which route I take it means coming up a hill but some are easier to climb than others. With my 92 1500 chevy short bed pulling this load there were a few spots that I thought I was not gonna make it over, but I did. I got myself about 500 feet from my driveway when the rim came off the hub in the middle of a 90 degree curve. It's a two piece rim and the rim got damaged.
I thought i was done for but some of my neighbors stopped and with a team effort, I was able to get the good rubber onto the old rim with the flat. I finally got the trailer off of the road and onto the property.
What should have taken me 1 1/2-2 hr to get to the wood and back turned into 6 hours of frustration.
I still dont know how bad I hurt the hub/brake assembly on the side that hit ground but the plus side is that I got to take home two clear pieces of red oak and two knotty ones. I still haven't gotten a chance to see if the knotty ones are worth doing anything with.
I can't wait to get started with milling. I am working towards a decent mill that a novice can use, but i don't know if I want to wait that long to start. I've been thinking about getting an alaskan mill to get my feet wet with.

Here are some pics.
6,000 lb trailer
attachment.php

attachment.php

The red oak and the flat tire
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 060108_13061.jpg
    060108_13061.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 126
  • 060108_13063.jpg
    060108_13063.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG00018-1.jpg
    IMG00018-1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG00021-1.jpg
    IMG00021-1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG00022-1.jpg
    IMG00022-1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG00023-1.jpg
    IMG00023-1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG00019-1.jpg
    IMG00019-1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 121
Well,things happen .Those "two piece" rims are called Dayton style .They are used on housetrailer and low boy axles .

Nice load but just a tad too much on one axle as you've already experianced .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well,things happen .Those "two piece" rims are called Dayton style .They are used on housetrailer and low boy axles .

Nice load but just a tad too much on one axle as you've already experianced .

It's supposed to be a 6,000 axle. I didn't take the time to figure the weight but I'm sure that if I'm not over I'm darn close. The axle, tires and rims came off of a mobile home - they're 3100 lb tires. I was gonna make a second trip but the crane operater/tree guy wanted to see if the trailer would take the top piece. It didn't squat down too much so we thought it was gonna be ok. I don't know why the tire went flat - it could have been a bad tire.

Looks to me like about 8,000 lbs of wood there. :O

You could estimate the weight if you have a chart, or do the math. 62lbs per cubic foot, I think.

i tried to get the log chart from my phone - it was too small. next time i'll be better prepared if i have to use the trailer.

I just bought a trailer almost identical to that , beefy as crud.
dude hauled a t 300 on it with attachments .
I love the it but i hate the dayton wheels

till i found that calculator--i didnt realize how much i was overloading my homebuilt car trailer!!! good thing i built it tough!!

Most trailer house axles are 5000# rated. They are like 14.5 rim size and the tires suck. You were way overloaded. Get a 2 axle trailer or modify yours, you can change hubs to take 6 hole wheels and run 16 or 16.5 tires. Ad the second axle and you will have better luck with loads like that.

Yep your right Carl. htpd43 if you plan on carrying loads like that I would sell that trailer and buy a heavier 2 axle trailer with 5 to 6 thousand # axles. You can get 6 or 8 hole hubs in 6000# axles. You can get 6 or 8 hole wheels rates up to 3750# pretty easy in 16" tire size.Or jump up to 6200# 8 hole wheels in 17.5 tire size....:D

Haha, some good experience and advice for next time!:D I've had days like that, they get less and less the longer i'm alive:D

There's nothing wrong with Dayton style wheels .You have to put some air in those tires 90 psi .They make 8 and 12 ply tires but those standards will work if you don't go nutz and overload them .

It might sound crazy but you will blow more tires on this type situation by running them under inflated as to any thing .Don't drive like a maniac too .;)

Thanks for the advice guys. That was a first for that trailer and I'm not planning to load like that again. And by the time I got home my wife was pretty much giving me the green light telling me I was gonna need a heavier trlr. Maybe in 2010.
I don't know for sure if the axle is a 5k or 6k. The guy I bought it from told me 6. He also told me that he regularly pulled a tractor on it that was just under 3 tons. Which doesn't matter too much since I'm way over 5k.
It is a tilt bed trailer. The rear of the bed doesn't go all the way down to the ground because it has two stands built in. I did check the tires before loading and during the trip. They were at 90+ except the one that was flat - it had none.

That's good -I never heard that before.

Back