New Tribe

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 5K
G

Greenhorn

I'm considering one. Anybody bought one and not liked it? Variations, pics?

While I only use mine a few times a year, its the one extra saddle I have, that I will never sell.

I have the Tengu. I like it a lot. Very comfortable.

Conceptually, I wasn't a fan of the HUGE leg pads...but once I started climbing on them I didn't think about it.

I think one day there will be a new tribe with a sliding bridge...

love
nick

I'm a big fan, been climbing in a custom built Ness (New Tribe) saddle for a goodly number of years now and recently bought a new Pro-Gear model to replace it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah, the lack of a sliding bridge is the only thing I dont know if I will adapt to.

Would seem that you would have to try and face your TIP while you work more without the flexibility.

I'm another New Tribe fan here. For the price, you will not find a more comfortable saddle anywhere. They are extremely well built and the folks at New Tribe are great to deal with and are more than happy to customize a saddle to your needs.

Like John, I no longer climb on my New Tribe most of the time (got a TreeMotion now), but I will never get rid of that saddle.

I'm looking forward to a sliding bridge New Tribe. That would rock.

Leon -so the sliding bridge is what keeps you away from working in your new tribe everyday?

Yes mostly that's it. The TreeMotion just has better overall mobility.

Although I'm not climbing everyday nowadays. :(

7-16-07008.jpg

NewTribe002.jpg

It's a beautiful thing...

Hey Brendon, thats a cool pic!
Are those custom attachment points on the back where your accessory carabiners are through? Or did you just slide them behind the webbing?
I was thinking of having extra attachment points added there on my saddle if I order one.

I loved my Ness Work Saddle. I like my Vi Special even better. Spring the extra $12 for the stainless Pear link in lieu of the plated Delta-it is worth it. Between the provided loops and carabiner passes I feel no need for extra attachment points.

Hey Brendon, that's a cool pic!
Are those custom attachment points on the back where your accessory carabiners are through? Or did you just slide them behind the webbing?
I was thinking of having extra attachment points added there on my saddle if I order one.

Yep, just slid through the webbing-there is 2 spots for this. I think there is enough attachment points, I rarely use the biner on the left, and there are 3 soft loops. I don't know what ones you guys have, but the side D's on mine are quite large.

Mine has the really big D's as well. They were a bit disconcerting at first, but once I figured out that I could use some old zing it to lash them down in the forward position I grew to like them.

Hey Justin, why the VI?

thanks,
rob

I wouldn't have a saddle without large D's, myself...but I'm frequently spur climbing using alternateing lanyards so you gotta have enough room for doubleing up in the D's.

I agree that a bridge with a sliding D would be a nice option to have, but if SRT is in your bag of tricks, the central attachment point on the current line of New Tribe saddles is the only proper one, imo.

Like has been said, there is some side to side movement available, but it is pretty limited. It doesn't seem to hinder me.

Rob. The Vi had the features I wanted and none that I didn't. I wanted the small side Ds, Experience with my first New Tribe taught me that I didn't really care for the brass snaps they used. My only concern with the Vi was the use of plastic swivel snaps on the sides...but I figured that since there was a little webbing loop anchoring them I could replace easily enough. Happily the plastic swivel snap has been holding up carrying my handsaw without problems(and I like the fact that it rides higher than the old bottom attached brass snap). For my chainsaw I have hung a BD Ice Clipper plastic 'biner throught the webbing (Like a Petzl Caritool but a bit tougher). The Vi Sp. has a webbing loop center of the back in place of the steel ring on the old Work saddle/Newer ProGear. It works just fine for the Secur suspenders or other chest ascender anchor but it is flat, soft and confortable if you decide to sleep in the saddle.

I run my own show, therefore no sleeping in the saddle ;)

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna go play in an old new tribe rec saddle I dug out and see how things go b/f ordering a work one.

I still have mine, over 10 years old. For some reason it has not worn out yet. Used to climb in it daily

Back