New to me gadgets

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 5K
I would think a small first-aid pouch ought to do. Heck, you could fit something like that IN your first-aid pouch. You do carry one, don't you?

I would think a small first-aid pouch ought to do. Heck, you could fit something like that IN your first-aid pouch. You do carry one, don't you?

Yep, it goes up when I do...and you are right...it would probably hold an emergency ground connection kit...good idea.

Attachments

• DSC_0989.jpg
    DSC_0989.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 63
I have not heard that idea before but it is a good one...I have found my self being REAL careful up high before when working with my climbing line, realizing that if I dropped it I would have to spur down. Having the rig you described is a great idea...probably wouldn't need to be much of a pouch at all to hold 100 feet of monofilament and a weight...thanks.

(if anyone has a picture of the size and type pouch you use for this, please post)

And Gary adds yet another piece of gear to his saddle. :D

Gary I just take my little throw line and weight bag with me... weighs about as much as the weight you bring with you... Good for storing extra biners and stuff too not to mention a means of setting another line ;)

<font size=3 face="Comic Sans MS"> Anyone that climbs w/o a rope is a rookie, and you can take that To The Bank. </font>

Guess that makes me both a rookie and a bust at the bank :P.

More apples and oranges, for sure ;).

There are very few absolutes in this business, Butch. The range of work done in trees, and the ways to do that work are much larger in scope than the extent of your experience, though I'm the first to acknowlege your skills in the things you do so well 8).

I just can't imagine the appeal of hooking up a tree and then hooking down again. My feet would be complaining!

Actually, they are called Swedish stacking ladders...or one could use Swiss tree grippers, or climb open grown conifers from the ground with alternating lanyards.

All set with any kind of ladder. I'll take the rope and saddle, tankUberrymuch.

You haven't seen some of these western white pines, Erik. You'd quake at the thought of going up one on rope. Tiny limbs, no good tie in points, and the pitch would lock your hitch down like a prison door within minutes.

If you are taking a rope up with you, then try using it in the split tail method. Then you can use it as your secondary lanard for bypassing branches while spur climbing. It'll let your primary lanyard be shorter and only need a snap on one end, which is then less likely to get hung up below you (not to mention cost less).

You'll LOVE that Cougar. I'm saving my change for one right now.

Why do you wear that webbing across one shoulder, Gary? Is it functioning as a suspender?

The loops make a convenient, quick place to hook biners (or a phone) in the front and first aid in back. It is also handy to suspend the climb line when bagging it, too...got that idea from Burnham...he uses his suspenders to do that.

You haven't seen some of these western white pines, Erik. You'd quake at the thought of going up one on rope. Tiny limbs, no good tie in points, and the pitch would lock your hitch down like a prison door within minutes.

Sounds about like any other crappy pine we have around here. 'Tis why I have to clean my spurs so damn much. :lol:

Back