New Plantings

phototropism.

Regular thinning to allow sunlight into the interior and removing endweight will prevent that

If you want a tree which requires not maintenance, I saw one at Wal-mart. It was made of plastic with removable limbs.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't planted since I got in the tree biz, until tomorrow. I"m planting a half a dozen california pepper trees. What do I need to look for? When I farmed all of the trees were apricot, apple, or walnut and all were bare root and you could see everything in there. Make me an expert by tomorrow please.

The biggest thing to me is no air pockets. Roots drying out is a problem >>> roots drowning in a pocket of water is a BIGGER problem. Irrigation is a thing of "NOW" . An air pocket is more likely to collect water than it is to dry out, IMO.
"Slurrying" is a good way to ensure less air pockets. A garden hose, & be obnoxious about it. Your workers will be in the truck eating lunch... You'll still be at the planting site with your arm elbow-deep in the planting hole with running water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't agree, Frans.
I had a customer last season who was on his SECOND Dogwood tree (same spot), and could not understand why it was dieing ?
Irrigation in place.
When I (finally) dug up the tree, it was in a dish of water.
IMO, trees can handle drought / drying out better than they can handle too much watering.
Ofcourse, it was a situation of poor planting in the case of this Dogwood >>> BUT !!! It would've handled an air pocket full of air better than one filled with water.

soil is the key there...does it drain? if not then it's no good.

Back