New Pantin

Adam_P

TreeHouse WebMaster
My new pantin showed up today. It's a LOT smaller than the previous version. I'd heard that it had a locking mechanism like the croll does but am happy to report it doesn't.

The new straps don't look like they'll last long. I already put some cordura on the strap that goes under my foot and stitched it to lock it in place.

pantins_zps319a6f65.jpg

If I remember I'll update the thread in a few weeks on any differences.

Wow. I noticed treestuff was carrying the new Basic/pantin/croll models....I have always thought my Pantin was small, it would be neat to see the new one with the old CMI foot ascender.

With my pantin, I always use the biner to lock it through the hole for long ascents. It can be unnerving kicking it out unexpectedly. I will look forward to your experiences with it and how well it holds the line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta have a backup! :)

The 1st gen pantins are down to $65 on treestuff in the specials section. You can use the coupon freeship too.

Nick, I didn't even notice there's no biner hole on the new one. It looks like there's a lot of small differences that may reduce kickout.

The angles that the straps travel through the pantin now appear to tip it back more. The cam also looks like it's designed with less and smaller teeth on the outside parts of the cam.

I hung a rope in the living room last night (Dawn LOVES me :D) and did like 10 quick runs. No kicking out.. no real noticeable difference for me either.

LOL

I should give it a solid run on Friday and Saturday. Outside, that is. :)

I cant' say I hjave ever had a rope hanging in my house... Buttttttt there are plans for a pole and some TIPs in the master.... I have a lot of trees to play with outside :D

Ive never had a problem with kicking out one I got the hang of it. For me keeping your toes pointed outward and your knee inline with rope solves the problem. That and fluid technique. I like the looks of the new Pantin, seems to be a good improvement.

Buttttttt there are plans for a pole and some TIPs in the master....

:O :thumbup:

Other than ascending, I don't see the advantage to SRT.

It's definitely a strange thing.. like learning to climb again. Other than the 1:1 you get climbing, the fact you get consistent friction regardless of redirects (intentional or not) is nice.

The fact you can't muscle yourself up as easily is definitely a down side.

I'm starting to like SRT a lot more in big trees. Still drt for most smaller trees or anything with time pressure for me.

SRT is also something that makes way more sense when you can climb with someone else who's been doing it a while. I rec climb with oceans on the buzz and he's an SRT ninja. It's definitely helped my game a ton to get some first hand tips.

Back