New Helmet

Yes I'm taking it easy and I feel alright this evening , I'm just not gonna do any climbing jobs until next Monday.:)

I wouldn't worry too much, Willard. I feel like that almost all the time.
Thanks Brian, yeah most times now that I think of it I don't feel much different from my normal days.

Jeez now I know how it must have felt for my old groundie Rob whose favorite past time was bar room brawls on the weekends:lol:

I just read this today from yesterday's newspaper, priceless.

Crash kills helmet-law protester
ONONDAGA, N.Y.- A motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and was killed, police said Sunday.
The motorcyclist, 55-year- old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.
Contos was operating a 1983 Harley-Davidson on a helmet protest ride when his motorcycle fish tailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars, police said.

No provision for ear muffs evidently? Wouldn't work for me, but ear plug-only guys, why not?

No provision for ear muffs evidently? Wouldn't work for me, but ear plug-only guys, why not?

I can't wear earphones, I sweat too much.

One thing I wish it could adapt is a visor. Kong does make an arborist helmet called the mouse - which I'll probably graduate too. It does utilize an eye shield. Clear or transparent. And the helmet comes in more colors than the Scarab...
image.jpg

I cannot believe people will still buy Kong after the way they handled the "ring Failure" incident, not me busy wouldn't trust them or any half assed product they make.

Me neither but I bet Szajer might not be aware of it.

I'm aware of a ring recall, but I did not hear that they were reluctant to do so, or whatever it is that took place.

What was the story? Any links to a past thread I can review?

BTW: Kong makes awesome gear and I'm brand loyal, so it's got to be really damaging news for me to stop using their equipment.. So they kill babies and use the gut for lanyards er something?

Welcome Szajer, not so much babies - some could laugh that off, it’s more like they are willing to kill or maim you and for lack of wanting to lose a few dollars they will stand back and watch it happen. Ours is not a very forgiving sport when catastrophic failure of life support equipment comes into play. Someone sharper on search functions will post up some threads. Your choice after that. Again welcome.

So product failure happened then? Or did the rings not stand up to an independent break test?

Gotta gotta know!

Not absolutely sure - sorry. Search “ring failures” and “unmarked rings”. Don’t use climbing gear rings that are not marked with strengths until someone who knows weighs in.

Found the recall notice online.

Seems it was a field related failure with no injuries. The rings were issued on the cougar saddles.

They also mention they were unmarked with no visible etchings. The pulley saver I just put together has a large Kong ring -but it does have the etchings and load limits listed. Oh well, I'm still using it....

Edit: never mind, I just read the complete thread concerning the ring failure on Jay Butcher's saddle during a competition 2010. Tough break. Four years later I'm curious as to what became of that situation......

Last edited:
Most all of the Petzl stuff I've seen has been very well designed and built (in spite of being a French company :P ).

Do you have an overpowering urge to throw up your arms and surrender when you wear it?

:D

Bottom line was the Kong ring failed during normal intended use but as it was in a competition they said the warrantee was void and wouldn't do anything to help the guy. If their gear cannot be trusted by their own admission for comp. use I sure as shit won't trust my life to it.

F### KONG

Back