New Helmet

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
Hey guys time for a new helmet. I can't decided between the new petzl alveo and the kask. Any input on these 2? My vertex vent served me well but it is pretty old now and needs to be replaced soon. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Was given an alveo I've been rocking for a couple of weeks now. Doesn't seem very strong, but lighter the better as I have jacked up discs in my neck. Its way lighter than anything else I know of.

Most all of the Petzl stuff I've seen has been very well designed and built (in spite of being a French company :P ).
Based on the descriptions I'm not too impressed with the Kask.

I'd go with the new Vertex myself. I don't like the idea of solid foam over my head (Alveo, Kask), I think it'd probably limit air flow totally.

The new Vertex has the adjustments on the side like the Ecrin too.

Pacific kevlar, just to throw something else into the discussion.
Most comfy helmet I've owned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish I could try them all on before I buy one. I am probably just going to buy another vertex since I had goodluck with my first one.

I been learning a lot about helmets lately. The Petzl Alveo is nearly identical to the Kask (except for the accessories, which the Kask has more of). They are both the same weight (12 oz compared to 16-18 on most others) and both are compatible with similar half-face plastic visors and the same ear muffs. The really big deal about these helmets is how they absorb an impact by deforming the styrofoam liner inside (like how a bicycle helmet works). This is different from how all the other helmets absorb an impact by deforming the plastic shell (like when you kick a tire - it pushes a bubble in and then back out). This is a big deal because the Alveo and Kask helmets will only withstand a single impact which damages the styrofoam liner and must be replaced afterwards, whereas the other helmets will usually withstand multiple impacts before they finally give in. I think this was the reason for all the negative feedback over at TB last year, because the Kask helmets were the first to work like this. Since they don't have to maintain a minimum distance away from the skull in order to allow an impact to press a bubble into the plastic shell, the Alveo and Kask helmets fit closer to your head and are thus more stable and less wobbly, especially when wearing ear muffs. So most people report that they fit and feel better. But on the other hand, the space above your head inside the shell is mostly filled up with insulating foam, so they can be warm in spite of all the vent holes. Petzl has also recently improved the way their helmets adjust, with two ratchet knobs now instead of just one. This "centerfit" adjustment system allows the user to keep the skull in the middle of the shell, so it isn't closer in the front and farther away in the back like is common on Kask helmets. This gives Petzl helmets the same impact protection all the way around, so there is no weak spot on the forehead. Personally, I prefer the Pacific Kevlar helmets. All plastic shell helmets should have a lifespan of 3-5 years, while the Pacific Kevlar might last forever. This is because plastic gets brittle in sunlight, causing a plastic helmet to get weaker over time. Also, the Pacific Kevlar helmets are the only ones with replaceable suspension systems, so I can refurbish mine when it starts to stink.

Whew! I think that's about it.

Seems to be a trendy helmet at the climbing comp. every year. Reminds me of motocross racing. I remember last year everyone was running around in their new kasks with "accessories" attached, this year the alveo and some weird black ones - maybe they were kasks. Also some kind of funky climbing pants with weird back pockets too. Some days I still wear an old hard hat with wide brim and lots of holes drilled in it, folks call it the "master blaster" for some odd reason.

Whats the best helmet for commercial tree work?
I vote the Pacific Kevlar helmet. I have been looking at them for years now but just couldn't get used to their ugly looks. But just the other day I ordered one from Baileys which are now presently on sale for $99. They have a good ANSI rating and from what Stig says very comfortable. Baileys doesn't even advertize a ANSI rating for the Petzls.
The Petzls might be fine for rock climbing or RTC [recreational tree climbing] but working 8 hr plus a day in and under trees you gotta have a industrial 6 point suspension and strong shell, not relying on plastic lined with foam.
I hate to think of a twig falling 50 feet and piercing my skull through one of the vents on top of the Petzl Vertex, again fine for rock climbing but not treework.

That old tin can you see me wearing in my avator picture has long been retired.. I took my chances with that helmet doing aerial work with no chinstrap.

Come down south, brother. You'll be begging for air vents in your helmet.
:lol:Up here in Manitoba we are not only used to the cold.... but heat with humidity too. Many days I work here when its +110 F [+40C]

Up here we can go from -40 below and a few months later +110. Toughest work environment on the planet.

Maybe thats why I don't have a alot of competition up here:lol:

The new Kask is supposed to be great. Has many more adjustments, and I believe is now side impact rated(don't quote me on that though)

BostonBull has been loving his. I love my original Kask, much like Sean said, how it fits on your head, low and less wobbly, I love it. I don't notice a difference on hot days here really, have too many other things to worry about than notice how hot my head gets lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I pulled the trigger on the new petzl. I will let you guys know what I think about it after a few days of wearing it. Thanks everyone for the input.

I think of climbing arborists as elite athletes, but when I think of a workingman removing a 4 ton tree wearing a rock climbing helmet........ I think of all these pro athletes with concussions we hear about these days.

I go vertex vent myself when aloft and the husky forestry package when on the ground the earmuffs just rock around the chipper.

I vote the Pacific Kevlar helmet. Just the other day I ordered one from Baileys which are now presently on sale for $99.

Well fellas the Pacific Kevlar helmet is presently having some brisk sales. I ordered one from Baileys about 3 weeks ago and its still on back order.
I wonder how much credit TreeHouse should get from this "New Helmet" thread??:/:

Funny how I talked about concussions earlier in this thread.
Yesterday at the end of the day I finished up the job, exchanged an invoice for a check. Went to the truck threw my helmet under the back seat and with lots of spring left in my legs I jumped up into my drivers seat smashing the top of my head into the roof's door frame. I sat there stunned in pain with a scrape on my bald scalp, after a minute I drove home feeling a little off balance but no headache or ill effects. I remember have done this same accident a few times over the last few years. I remember how much that little round button on top of the ball cap hurts when it gets smashed into the skull.

Today on a new job I had tough time getting my act together,alot of wasted steps, forgetting tools in the truck etc . Almost like I just came off a 2 day drunk. Hopefully things go better tomorrow.
Any of you guys had this happen to you?

Back