New Chipper

I'm telling ya I was in my glory today huge tops and piles of limbs were fed right in with no handling by hand. Even my old school uncle was blown away by what it did. The best part is you're just riding along not even sweating!!!

I'm amazed what ive been missing out on with not having a mini.

I chipped up a rather large bradford pear yesterday and actually got a little cold riding around on the mini. It was pretty windy and misting rain.

Sure is nice to shove all that mess in, and ride off to get the next giant pile.

Congrats on the new Chipper that is a fine looking piece of Iron.

How do you handle hauling the logs? I think your dump trailer is primo for such a task.

Sure, you can fit them in the chip box, but that requires a chit load more effort than just stacking them in the dump box of your trailer.

Most of the logs I leave by the road to get picked up by my friend with a log truck.

Yeah the dump would be ideal now with the mini. I've been trying to chip as much as I possibly can. The recycle dump is about 25 mile round trip.

I have local spots to dump chips and firewood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of stuff are ya'll chipping? A mini can kick some major ass in some situations.

Not a good job for a mini. Driving up and down the alleys chipping brush the home owners have put out themselves. Lots of drive time and 3/4 of the piles are small enough that a man can have it chipped before the mini could get there. The other 25% a mini would be ideal for but not worth the hassle of transporting one.

ps. I spent all day pulling wrenches on my old chipper today so only my 2 guys where chipping with one truck. They made me even more per man hour than yesterday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably a grapple mounted on a chipper would be awesome for the chipping programs.

Theres to much foriegn material in the piles. You need to hand feed so that you have a chance at seeing shit. I found a steel pipe in a pile yesterday :\:

They didn't have you there slowing them down all day.

Well maybe I should just take tomorrow off. Sleep in, go for lunch with the wife...

Im surprised that contract is for chipping. The few cities around here that do those type of annual brush / log clean up programs all use grapple loaders. The labor required is easily 3 times less, plus everyone knows homeowners will throw whatever they can in those piles.
Doesnt sound like a fun job, but at least you got a kick ass chipper to get it done.

Dam what sorta moron would throw something like that in the pile?? I had to sift through a few things this year on my few days of chipping I did for a local municipality who had no limit on what the residents could put out. There was a few piles I was wishing I had some type of mechanical assistance on.

One place someone had taken down four decent sized wolfy doug firs and piled all the limb on the roadside in the worst abomination of a pile. Next year they said they may consider putting a limit per house.

My city doesnt do it annually. But if an ass kicking storm comes through and tears alot of trees up they will do free pick ups to residents. Alot of people take advantage of this and start cutting things left and right from their yard. Ive actually done a good amount of cut-n-run jobs and the homeowners just get it to the curb.

on the tough ones i am. i like a challenge, get bored with the day to beebopping. besides, i pick up alot more work by answering the phone when it rings. when im working i get sick of my phone and dont answer it which cuts my jobs back considerably

Yah I usually return calls at lunch but these last couple of days I've been returning them at the end of the day. Hopefully one day I'll be busy enough and find a decent enough crew that I can do just like what you're doing. In on the cool jobs but doing quotes while the crew's on the boring ones.:D

The city that I'm the closest to picks up stuff at the curb once a month and they use a John Deere loader with some type of side grapple on it. It is the type that are made for picking up piles of leaves, but I guess it works for brush piles too. They put it in a garbage truck and it gets smashed into a big bale in there.

Back