New Chipper for TreeCareLA, too!

I've bought cheap before and it was ALWAYS a massive mistake. It's not just the repair bills that hurt you, it's the down time that kills you.
It's usually cheaper to buy new or ex-demo.

Yes been there made that mistake starting out thinking I would keep my startup costs low and it ended up biting me. Spent more time at the shop and figuring out how to finish jobs than actually working.

jp:D

Its a 2004 and its been rode hard and put away wet. Given that the thing is in the shop having a new Murphy switch and gauges installed, I sure as shit ain't offering ticket price. Plus, the winch line is an old climbers rope, so it has to be replaced, which the salesman is offering to pay for a cable, but I like amsteel.

My problem with buying new is that I wouldn't be able to finance it reasonably. The company financing Northland chippers equipment basically amounts to highway robbery...they want 17% interest and a 10% buy out!! On a 50k machine, no effin way! Not even on this used unit. I think of it like I think of my truck. I am not going new right off the bat, I'm gonna roll dirty. This means I'll have to make sure my maintenance is top notch, and I'm ok with that. That John Deere 115 diesel should last for at least 10k more hours, and properly greased and maintained bearings the same. The other thing is that I can just about buy the unit outright, and either way would be able to pay it off within a year. Finding finance for someone in my position isn't easy, and I'm not sure I want the committment of a 50k machine at this point. Remember that this is just my first year! If I can end up after 2 years with a chip truck and a chipper in good working order, then I'm a happy camper. Then when I need to upgrade I've got some liquid to work with.

I agree with the above.

I bought way more than I can afford when starting up. I wanted a $5,000 truck, ended up with a $15,000 one. Started with a bandit 65 then sold that in 6 months and bought the new Woodsman.

Because of that it's why I think I am in the position I am now. Truck was paid for in a year or two because I didn't put money into repairs. Same with the chipper and the mini loader.

What I'm saying is just think about buying a basket case. Sure it's cheaper now, but not when it's breaking down weekly. You see if with a lot of people, a dollar saved now won't save any later.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

While you have the chipper take an oil sample. Send it to a place like Blackstone labs. They will let you know the condition of the engine. Cost $25. I did two on the bucket truck before I bought it. Probably won't buy another used engine without doing one too.

Financing a 50K chipper for a first chipper seems like something nobody would do. Financing or outright purchase of a newer, smaller 10k-20K chipper might be a better bet. If it will be spending all you have saved, might be worth keeping a bit of a nest egg, paying for most, financing a portion, getting through the winter to busy times again, and paying off the loan early.

Canadiantreeman, You could try Arborist Supply Company in Calgary. I believe the owners name is Rob( not sure) but he is a bandit dealer and always seems to know of a few used chippers and new of course. Maybe his finance company is able to give a better rate. 17% seems criminal. Good Luck.

I did speak with Rob, I usually buy arbo gear from him. He cannot overstep his bounds and sell to someone in BC. It would be taking money off the table of his contemporaries.

I'm wondering what to do...the oil sample idea is great, didn't think about that. Thanks, B. I just need to find a place local that can do the work.

My problem is that it makes no sense to continue renting, as I've dropped over 8k renting a machine since March of this year. That's a pretty good down payment! I understand what everyone is saying, however. For the size of material that we encounter out here, nothing smaller than a 9" is really feasible as a production machine. 6" can do the work, it just takes longer than is really necessary and it would probably be more economical to continue to rent the 12" and maintain that level of production than to invest in a smaller chipper and be slower on site.

Sean, this is precisely why I want to finance the chipper, rather than use the saved funds I have accumulated. Its not a bad place to be in, and I think a sizable end of year purchase will help come tax season. I've done well, but I don't want to get into a machine that ends up making me pull more hair out...hell I've got 2 kids and one more due Feb! A newer, more expensive machine seems to be the only alternative.

Here's a nice 'lil, inexpensive chipper!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SG6R1BryVCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No prob for sure. I'm learning and following along, bringing my questions when I have them and getting excited for the day when I no longer have to jump up into the back of the truck many times each day.

love
nick

The 150 bandit. Probably wore out everything but a grease gun on it. My 93 bandit 250 cost $10,800 7 years ago with 1100 hours. I traded it in for $10k 5 years ago. There are much better deals out there, you may have to drive a little but keep looking.

I think I've decided exactly that. It is not a good sign when the machine has to be nursed along to get through a job and then is carted off immediately to the engine repair shop to be worked on! No need to rush into a decision.

Dylan,

http://www.itetrucks.com
Might check what ITE has. They are next to Seattle. 5.5 hour drive from your neck of the woods. Vermeernorthwest.com has different makes of used stuff. Bandit in Sumner, WA is out of business. Our Bandit dealer is in Portland.

I like the looks of the Morbark Beever M8D with 44hp Kubota diesel if I was to upgrade.
The Bandit XP 65 with diesel and the optional dual infeed rollers would be another good choice. I hear for a 6" disc chipper the dual feed rollers are superior when chipping sappy brushy limbs like spruce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The sales guy said I shouldn't get dual feed wheels because the bottom wheel gets tangled with vines a lot.

What y'all think?

love
nick

Back