Need some help with my 262

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I run a 16 inch bar on my 262 with a 3/8 chain ... love it. Well gang ... changed up the clutch spring and fixed that problem but seems that the saw isn't idling down well after acceleration. I guess i opened up pandora's box so will have to go look for an air leak and then will most likely just replace the fuel line,fuel filter and then do a carb. kit on it and then see where i stand. Sometimes I tell you !!!

Can anyone tell me where they have thier idle screw set when they start to tune thier saw? I had my low and high screws set at one turn out to start but am just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for the idle screw?

Thanks for your help
Gary

They all interact.
Make sure lines and filters is clean and OK. Screws tight and all look well.

Set the H and L on one turn out from LIGHTLY seated.
Start her up and set L so she doesn't hesitate on throttle.
Fine tune H so she slightly "four stroke" on WOT.
Set the T so she is stable and chain is still.

H is main inlet, set too low the L won't get enough..

If you are too lean on the low speed adjustment, the idle down will be slow. I find the high speed setting will also affect the low speed setting. I go form low to high to low again, if necessary.

Trust me B...the only thing me and a 28" bar would be doing will be felling cuts...limbing will be the short bar again, otherwise the power head would be up around my chin somewhere...
THere are some interesting tidbits on carburettor tuning here...taking notes.

I would say you have an air leak some where.

I know that is what I'm concerned about!!! I will get at it in 2 weeks ... have to put my head down and work hard for 1 week here and then am off moose hunting so the saw is going to have to wait til i get home

More than likely it is a leaky fuel line or a torn carb boot and not a crank seal. Moose (insert drooling smiley)!!!

More than likely it is a leaky fuel line or a torn carb boot and not a crank seal. Moose (insert drooling smiley)!!!

well i'm sure hoping it is a simple fix - I love that saw and want to keep it working for me. I can do lot of repairs but seals will need to be done by my local saw shop as I can't afford to screw it up.

Back