Need some help with my 262

1savagehunter

Treehouser
Ok sounds like a dumb question but I can't get my saw to idle down so the chain won't turn able
The saw otherwise is running awesome!!! This one has me scratching my head

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should also mention that the saw is idling at 2740 and the chain is just slowly turning. I turned the saw down abit more and it goes slower and then stalls out. I played with the L and then switched back to idle but can't make that chain quit!!!!

I plan to tear into the clutch tomorrow but thought I'd ask to see if I was missing something totally obvious

Clutch should not engage until 3500. Idle is usually over 2500 and under 2800rpm, should be 2700.
You likely have a worn clutch spring or drum bearing. Check for wear and see if it wiggles on crank.

He has Idle set at less than 3000rpm so it should not engage. Under 2200rpm they will not run right as ignition fail then.

If spring is OK the shoes don't go out until closer to 3500rpm. Snip them a bit and you get another 1000...

If bearing is gone it will rest on the shoes and they pull even though they are not out.

Ok I will check this today when I get home - I thought this was the direction this was going but needed to make sure I wasn't missing the obvious

Ok sounds like a dumb question but I can't get my saw to idle down so the chain won't turn able
The saw otherwise is running awesome!!! This one has me scratching my head
Good to see you back Gary. I'll be out your way next week at Caroline for a Arb course.

Yes probably clutch problem . I had the same problem on my new 562XP last week and found a length of nylon fishing line got wrapped up in the clutch bearing. Enough residence not to stall the powerhead with the chainbrake on but enough to spin the chain when idling normally.

Well I pulled the clutch off and everything looked ok EXCEPT for the needle bearing was gummed up with some debris. Cleaned it up the clutch real good and am going to throw a new needle bearing and rim on in the AM an see what happens.

Good to see you back Gary. I'll be out your way next week at Caroline for a Arb course.

Yes probably clutch problem . I had the same problem on my new 562XP last week and found a length of nylon fishing line got wrapped up in the clutch bearing. Enough residence not to stall the powerhead with the chainbrake on but enough to spin the chain when idling normally.

Thanks ... do you have time for a coffee on your way through ... shot me a PM if that interests you

Good to hear it looks ok.
No blue heat marks or bad shapes on clutch wings?

Willard.
Be carefull. I have seen this on saws here a few times when it wasn't fishing line it was shaved plastic from oiler and its gear/housing. Also result of wiggling...

Thanks Magnus
Solid as a rock with no wiggle noted here
I'm abit concerned here but we will see in the AM what the new needle bearing and rim do

:wall:...the blindingly obvious would be a slack chain...but this is the Treehouse and no-one would do that...would they? :wall:

It should not pull on idle, not even with slacky chain on idle. If it do and sit on idle for a bit it will go got and stuff break.

With a long bar I could see trying to catch a duck that way.

Oh ya, I forgot, I'm stuck on short bar...:) maybe not for long...I foresee a 28" bar in my future, might have to learn a thing or two or I'll be burning out sprockets and noses faster than you can say...

Not to worry at all, Fi. You don't need to do anything a bit differently with a 28" than you've been doing with your 20", so far as sprockets go.

Just make sure to watch the location of the tip in regards to over-reaching and causing kickback, until you get used to the additional length.

Kickback and if you are tired and say doing a lot of limbing on the ground and the tendency to drag the bar arises, it can bite you. My chaps tell that story.

Good to hear it looks ok.
Willard.
Be carefull. I have seen this on saws here a few times when it wasn't fishing line it was shaved plastic from oiler and its gear/housing. Also result of wiggling...
Thanks Magnus. No it was fishing line because a big pile of it wrapped around the clutch when I was cutting, after I thought I had all of it pulled out I started getting the chain turning at idle. So after pulling the clutch off a short piece was jammed against the bearing.
Yes I have seen that shaved plastic before on other saws' oiler gears. Just to be safe I ordered a new oiler gear and bearing for the 562.

BTW I noticed something really different with my new 562XP. When I pulled the spark plug out to get the piston blocked to remove the clutch, I noticed it's spark plug is tiny. I had to use a 17mm socket , all other plugs since history have been 19mm.

A word of caution.
262 is a big limbing saw. Bucking with bigger bars tend to make them run hot.
Most run 15-18" .325 here and still they get overloaded.

I would not run bigger than 20" on mine and if I run 20" I promise to pay good attention to heat. Previous owner did not...

Back