Need some advice...

cybergeek23851

I like cats...
Ok, so I am now the proud owner of a Husqvarna Rancher 455. Anyhow, the previous owner decided to pull the side cover off to put on a different bar and chain and in doing so, did it with the chain brake engaged. He got the cover off, and never could get it back on. He decides to play saw mechanic and pulls the cover off and in doing these actions, sent the chain brake spring(on the clutch cover) flying, when he opened it to try and disengage the brake. He couldn't get it back together, and alas another persons misfortune, is another persons goldmine... albeit I did get strange looks trying to wrench on a saw here in the hotel parking lot. :lol:

In other words, how do I get the spring back in the clutch cover without maiming me or surrounding people? And afterward, should the brake be engaged, go about disengaging it, so I can get the cover back on?

If you need pics, I'll get pics tomorrow afternoon...

That's en external clutch right? If so, the following applies-

Most chainbrake springs aren't that hard to install with the brake ENGAGED, off the saw. The spring pulls the brake on, so "on" the spring tension is at it's least. I just put on the brake spring on an 056 Mag, and I can't imagine a Rancher being any stouter. I've never done it on a Rancher, but get the right tool for the job; pliers, screw driver, whatever.

Beyond that, find a Husky dealer, or even a Stihl dealer for that matter, and they'll do it for you in about 30 seconds because they do it all the time, and they'll charge you $5 if they charge you anything at all.

Then to install it on the saw, disengage the brake and slide it over the clutch and make chips!

Jason, Brake springs are usualy dead easy once you figure out the way it all is arranged. Recoil springs/starter rewinds are a royal pain in the patootey sometimes.

I just replaced the chain brake on my old 3120 XP recently. It's not that hard. I had gotten a printout of parts blow-up from the dealer, but I couldn't find it when I was doing the work, so I just had to figure it out as I went. Took me about 30 minutes to get it all together. Try to get a parts diagram if you can, it will make your life easier.

They can be a puzzle for sure .Once you get the layout of the thing they aren't bad . If I had any IPL's for Huskey I would send you one but alas all I have is Stihl ,Homelite and McCulloch 's .Give me a sec and I might be able to put in a link to help out .

Ah,found it . It's a little tough to navigate but if you tinker with this site the IPL is listed .http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/parts.asp

Remove handle for the breake, two screws one on each side, take the handle and put it in the correct place in the cover and pull spring back.
Put back handle, assemble bar/chain/cover and you are good to go!

This is easyest to explain and proberbly easyest for you to do, but there are 100 way's to skin a cat!

IPL for download:
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HIPL/HIPL2005/HIPL2005_5440585-01.pdf

I don't like these fresh air saws at all... They are not thought thru completely...

the chain brake on the 3120xp is totaly inadiquate. i took the brake off mine, and attached a small anchor with steel cable to the rim gear. i keep the anchor in my pocket and throw it out when i need to stop the saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get a Stihl.

Bingo! Well said, my friend!

:lol:

Wisenheimers, eh! :P

I have 2 Stihls at home(BG 55 and MS210), and then there are my 2 Echo products(stick edger and string trimmer). I just couldn't beat the price. 250.00 with two bars, chains, and case..

Al, Magnus thanks for the IPL's. I was going to work on it last night, but I was just not feeling that good(crashed at 2100 in a chair watching a movie).

I may tinker with it tomorrow since the weather is going to be decent, I believe. Today... meh it's raining, and I just don't feel like lugging the saw and tools to my hotel room, :D that and I am heading to Cleveland to make a trip to the Rock and Roll hall of fame. :rockon:

that and I am heading to Cleveland to make a trip to the Rock and Roll hall of fame. :rockon:
If have some time to kill stop in Wayne /Holmes county,Berlin/Kidron Ohio area .The whole area is full of Amish made or type of fine quality furniture etc .Laymans hardware in Kidron is an icon of a place with new stuff you might only find in a museum .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidron,_Ohio

If have some time to kill stop in Wayne /Holmes county,Berlin/Kidron Ohio area .The whole area is full of Amish made or type of fine quality furniture etc .Laymans hardware in Kidron is an icon of a place with new stuff you might only find in a museum .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidron,_Ohio

Hey... next county over... :/: I might just make a drive that way tomorrow. :D

I mentioned it in a post here last night, but the saw is fixed(I love these long Ohio days :D). I got the spring back on it, by holding it down with vise grips, and wedging into place with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers... crude, but it worked for the occasion. One back in place, I used a flat blade screwdriver and disengaged the brake. After that, I put the chain and bar on, cleaned the air filter and checked it over a little bit better.

I have a broken handle I cut to use as tool for this. By this there is no need of removing handle on the saw...

I tried the way you did it too, but it is much easyer with the handle.
No need for other tools, just to put it in, pull back and click it is done!

I have a broken handle I cut to use as tool for this. By this there is no need of removing handle on the saw...

I tried the way you did it too, but it is much easyer with the handle.
No need for other tools, just to put it in, pull back and click it is done!

that's the way i do it too !
you would not beleive how many people do that to their saw.
just remember to reset the brake BEFORE trying to remove cover :O

Some saws you need to check too so it is correct around drum.
254 is known to eat up breakes!
There are others too, so keep a eye on it when you put covers on.

I fired it up for a bit today... :D

She runs like a champ. Now to bury the bars in some big wood and see how they do.

Back