need opinions asap - snowboarding

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 8K
I'm jealous....I see your hill has 122 acres open already...we got zilch....

Nov 6, 2004....I skied opening day at Mt Baker. There was 92 inches of unconsolidated snow. Most incredible opening day ever....though I have had my share of epic ones.....An avy buried a skier just past the boundary, and two future friends dug the shaken but alive fella out, as his partner was freaked. Later that year, I shot these young freeride competitors at Whistler: http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/rbtree/Whistler Jan 29-30 2005/ That was the best early opening in Wa in 30 years. In fact, Crystal raced everyrone and opened first. I skied their second day, I think it was, and had some incredible runs in knee deep pow...on wild terrain that often isn't skiable till mid December. Even hiked Silver King..which has nothing 35-60 degree lines off its north Face, and longer 30-50 degrees 1600 foot bowls and chutes on the south east side. The west side is out of bounds, and descends 3700 vertical feet into Mt Rainier Park, which then requires a 4 mile skate out the closed road...and a hitchhike back to the area.

Another personal epic was the opening day premiere of the first hi-speed quad in Washington....At Crystal Mt. 1988.....As usual, I was shooting and my models were the #4 and #10 rated snowboard women on the world circuit....18 inches of fresh light pow, and sunshine. They were the best single plankers to shred Crystal up to that time, and they were gals! What fun!

And then there was......

OK, you guys started it, look out!

Me, chokin on it.....
429957989_029b0d7b07_b.jpg

actually, that was some of the mankiest snow I've skied in a while. Steve Ogle,a BC based pro, shot me at Mt Baker.....

WayneGAvyBasin2w.jpg

My number one guy Wayne "Groovy" Grevey on a short 50 degree face. That's Silver King's north face in the background, that I referred to earlier. Crystal's big mountain "extreme" comp finals are held there every year. A 15-25 minute hike from the top of the Silver Queen lift. The hike accesses hundreds of acres of awesome patrolled "backcountry" now being called "slackcountry".

Jim Thompson, an elite level skier also in his 5th decade, ripping Elevator in the Alpental near backcountry. Yes, it is as steep as it looks.....
b61cec35.jpg

and his son JD, who has been known to throw 100 foot backflips in big mt comp's.....
JD2w.jpg

Beauty, eh?
Alpental2-2436w.jpg

This nice line is a steep 20 minute hike above Edelweiss Bowl...and a mighty fun ride down...just can't miss a turn...there'd be some serious air time skier's right........

...ya think....?
Alpental2-2402w.jpg

WOW!! That's incredible!! :O The pics are frikkin amazing, I know it's 10,000 times better in person. I would love to visit there again someday. 8)

You'd love my shots from Red, Whitewater, Fernie and the Banff areas...but those trips were years ago, and I've never digitized the slides.....

Took a coupla trips to Nakusp as well back in 83 and 84.....had to fly a bird...no fun at all. We (9 local crazies one year, and 10) the next) were lucky enough to ski and name 17 first descents..back when Kootenay Heli-Ski was new to Nakusp....now they're part of the huge CMH operation. Many of those were in an awesome drainage named Fallopian Creek. You can imagine the names.....

I have a setup...many of us that ski Alpental regularly are on it..but to access the "bc" at Alpental and Crystal requires short lateral or uphill hikes, so most just push or shoulder their gear.
There's also plenty of true bc that gets toured to often.

RB west from Nakusp are my home stomping grounds. Blanket glacier and Tsius I was snowmobiling to and skinning my way up into some awesome territory long before Blanket became a CMH destination and Tsius had a catskiing operation built on it. Shoulda seen the catski owners face when I parked my snowmobile right at his lodge and toured off up 'his' cattracks. The catski outfit was actually pretty cool once I got to know them a bit and explained I had been skiing here for a decade already before they arrived.:lol:

Whitewater used to be a two to three trip a season hill for me. Love that hill, talk about awesome backcountry access in the valley or up and out from the top of the lifts. Not to mention that you could ski almost to town. Mostly though we campered right in the parking lot. Red I've been to atleast half a dozen times, Fernie too. Apex and Big White of course are close for me.

A good buddy of mine has taken teli to the next level over in Pemberton. Last winter he got a free ride at Wigleys from a ski rep just to give feedback on the skis, not to mention a bunch of free planks too. Which reminds me I've got to hit him up for a pair like he mentioned this spring, my shat is outdated now. He told me this last spring when I was over there that he doesn't bother with the dual mountain pass anymore, strictly off piste.

I AM PSYCHED! For snow this year.:D

Cool...! There's been a few articles in Powder and other mag's about snomo/cat ski conflicts....including some with amicable relations as your experiences worked out to be.

Wish I wasn't a flatlander, getting old, or with a bum knee (or two) and that I had more time to spare. I've never done nearly as much bc as I've liked to.

WW has to have the most amazing close in touring, eh?! The view of Ymir before we even got there was insane.....and, of course, we skied its face a coupla days later. Result from that run-two or three photos made the 1997 calendar that a company published of all my shots.....

By the way, I have a license to say "Eh", eh?! When I was 15, we immigrated to Vancouver Is from Arkansas.....though I did return to the states after hs grad. As this was 1965, I heard Nancy Greene's name often. She won the World Cup a couple times, and was just a couple years older than me.
35 years later, we met at a media gathering in LL, and I beat her in a media race, by a couple feet. I've skiied with here a coupla times at Sun Peaks. The lady's enthusiasm is boundless and intoxicating; a great ambassador for the area, and Canada skiing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got alot of new aches and paines but it was well worth it.

Learned it the first three days on hard pack and got a decent amount of powder on the forth to play in.

Definitely a cool experience and I didnt break the bank or any bones.

I want to move to the mountains everytime I go up there!

I got alot of new aches and paines but it was well worth it.

Learned it the first three days on hard pack and got a decent amount of powder on the forth to play in.

Definitely a cool experience and I didnt break the bank or any bones.

I want to move to the mountains everytime I go up there!

Then do it! You won't regret it.:D

Glad you had fun bro!

I haven't wanted to ski soooo bad in years. I'm going crazy but I hear they got enough snow at castle to make things white in spots. Headed to Calgary next week sometime to shop for AT boots. Something tasty to go with my freerides and then I'm going to take an avvy course to a) brush up on my knowledge and b) hopefully meet some potential partners. PLEASE PLEASE SNOW

Back