Need my Big Saw.

if you are looking for an 066 ,i have one listed on ebay right now ,Mastermind ported it ,it is the early model ,but in very nice shape still ,it is very powerful 066 flat top 006.jpg

That's big wood Rajan:lol: cottonwood or willow?

Here's a 8 ft cottonwood stump I lowered with my 395, had to get the 36"b/c out for this one otherwise the saw always sports a 32".
Poor little 252 labored for 2 1/2 hr to grind the core out completely, visable root flares included.

Willow.
Big stumps like are the reason I got rid of my 252. I do miss the smallness of it from time to time but the speed of a bigger machine is sooo nice!

Willow.
Big stumps like are the reason I got rid of my 252. I do miss the smallness of it from time to time but the speed of a bigger machine is sooo nice!
Figured it was willow.
I'm looking into the new fancy grinders, but will never get rid of the 252.....just too handy.
Bought it new in 2003 and has printed money for me ever since:)

What is that saw wrench holder gizmo?

It has the little red light bulb in the plastic ,but no wires hooked to it ,maybe the coil had been updated ? the scrench holder is oem stihl off the 460 rescue saws the firefighters use ,here is the part # i have been asked before on these ,the # helps the dealer find the part faster stihl bar wrench holder 001.jpg

Rockster, go with the 461 and dont look back, it will do everything you need it to do.

You can run a 36" bar, full skip chain, it will bog some, but it will get it done no problem :thumbup:

32" bar would be golden on that saw ;)

Get a 461 and learn to bore cut.

Having a "beast" fitted with a 36" bar and using it as many times in the year as I use my 880 with the 60" bar is a waste of saw.

Better to,learn how to do those big cuts with a shorter bar,

But then Y'all knew I'd say that, right:lol:

Haha, my short bar mentor beat me to it 8)

My new 461 is going great, I have a 361 back in Bermuda and the 461 is a BIG step up in power, you'd definitely notice the difference
I only have a 20" bar on it at the moment but that is all I need for the time being, bore cuts make it very versatile. I have used it up a tree and all went well, as most guys know here I'm only small and I find the 461 perfectly fine to handle. For me it was a decision between 441 and 461,the weight and price wasn't too much more for the extra power so I went 461 and am quite satisfied with it.
I'll leave it for the more experienced gear heads to tell you what max bar and chain combo it could pull.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if you are looking for an 066 ,i have one listed on ebay right now ,Mastermind ported it ,it is the early model ,but in very nice shape still ,it is very powerful View attachment 54941

homer-drool.gif

It has the little red light bulb in the plastic ,but no wires hooked to it ,maybe the coil had been updated ?
No wires to the light tells you the ignition module was upgraded, also the flywheel would also have been replaced.
When I bought my 1992 066Mag new I had the upgrade done 2 months after purchase.

The 461 is a major step up from the 362 but for a little extra cash you might as well go the next step to the 390XP.
A 3 ft diameter tree can be easily felled with a 18" b/c ,but I recommend for your big saw should sport a 28".

I primarily own a 395XP just to lower stumps for my stump grinder with a 32" trading off with a 36". Other then that my 372XP-24" will handle anything else.
Your Wisconsin timber sounds exactly what I deal with here in Manitoba.

I heard the Stihl 661 CM will be available in the U.K. this summer, so we'll be waiting longer then that I'm sure.

Interesting specs:
661CM
91.1cc
16.3 lbs
7.3 h.p.

390XP
88cc
15.65 lbs
6.5 h.p.

The old dual port muffler 066's were rated at 7.7 hp. I have a newer 660 now. It doesn't seem as strong. I do know that a woods ported 390 will easily whip a dual port otherwise stock 660. Which is why I've always wanted a ported 390, also due to its lighter weight.

Beautiful looking mint early red lite. Just like mine minus the wrap handle.

Pretty!! I sold my red light 066 to a friend years ago. Dunno why. It was working fine. I'd bought a new one, I think. He's retired now. I want it back!!

Oldest saw in my daily line up I bought in the 90's. 046 and it wore a 36" bar for years, no problem. Solid saw, just do it

Back