Need my Big Saw.

r0ck1r0ck2

TreeHouser
Well now.

As of now i have a ms362 that i pull a 20" bar and a 25" as well.
i've been keeping a skip tooth on the 25"er.

I would like a beast. something that will pull up to a 36" bar.
but that would probably be the highest i would need.
in reality the big saw would probably live with a 32 or 28" bar everyday.

right now the new saws i'm pondering are a ms461 or 390xp
or a 661/660/066 vs the 395xp.

during my time cutting for the man the largest saws i have run would be a 660(stihl) and a 372xp (husqvarna)

the huskies are zippy but every one has issues. leaking fuel, busted stop switch.
they all start and run balls out but.....

the 66 series saws i've been in contact with have all been solid but seem to bog down with the exception of an old 066
and my god how they guzzle gas.

i haven't spent enough time with the 46es to have a solid opinion.

in looking at the specs on paper, a 461 with a skip for the larger bars seems like the best choice but the price difference between 660 and a 461 is about a bill.

i guess the last consideration is that i don't have a decent relationship with a local husqvarna dealer and that my 25" bar won't fit on the husky.

what say you all powerful treehouse?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well look, that would probably be the ideal but finding one is going to be.... tricky.
it's on my list but i won't be able to run down to the saw shop and grab one.........

Keep an eye out for a older 066, the dual outlet muffler ones are hard on gas but a modded 660 is even worse.

How much oversize cutting will you be doing? You may be happy with a Husky 576XP AT with a 28"-32". Very nice capable saw in big wood.
MS461 is another good choice....ask Bermy about hers.
Not sure when the MS661 CM will be introduced. Now if your serious that is the saw to wait for.Husqvarna has nothing to match the 661 as a state of the art saw in that displacement class. Very serious technology in that unit....I'll probably get one myself and ditch my old school 395XP.

Wasn't the chain oil output inadequate on the older 066 or 660? Skwerl used to talk about that and how he remedied it.

The 066/660 with the wrap handles or Magnum series had the high output oilers. My Mag was Ok With 36".
Good point though Jay, keep an eye out for the weak ones.

Mine is under my bench and almost still new after like ten years. It's just back up if visors to the shop don't get the manliness from the other equipment.

Too big is not good for example 880 or 3120XP:D
I bypassed the 390XP by buying the 395XP for the extra displacement. .....if your going to buy an aging series of saws you might as well buy the slightly bigger one.
The 390XP is a perfect high production saw for a faller working 6-8 hrs a day. But the yet introduced Stihl 661CM is going to blow it away.......that's my hunch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
they're all going to be good saws.

i'm concerned with a good fit.
a good power/weight ratio.
something that will get used.

i'm too filthy to be feminine. i listen to waaay too much flipper to get fluffy.

i've a strong feeling that the 36" won't get busted out all that often which is why i'm leaning 461/390.
dealer says the 461 can pull a 36"

the 661 was released then recalled no?
they've got to get that up and running shortly no?

any advice regarding 066 models?
what to avoid what to look for.
if i do go that route i'll probably be buying it online and won't be able to judge how much life is left, what pump it's got, etc.
i suppose that's going to apply to all second hand saws.

how's everyone's husqvarnas holding up?
still in one piece?

Longevity has not been an issue for me with ether brand.

I just like the size to power ratio of the Husky's now.

The 390 is physically the same size as a 046 with around 12cc more displacement, better AV, and air filtration.

046 is an excellent saw. As long as you could find one in good condition I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I've been running a husq. 395 with a 28" bar most of the time and a 36" bar for the big stuff. Great saw IMO.

Stick a 036 piston and jug on a 034 saw and it will be a light saw that can easily pull a 36" bar. Especially if you mod it. Probably beyond the scope of this thread, however.

Back