Need a Descender

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 8K
B

BostonBull

I am doing a TON of crane work lately, mostly all climbing. I am sick of burning up lengths of rope, and friction hitches. What are the thoughts on descenders like the ID and Stop?
I want something that doesn't twist the line, EASY to tie and untie, even mid line, and a product thats not HUGE!

I am doing a TON of crane work lately, mostly all climbing. I am sick of burning up lengths of rope, and friction hitches. What are the thoughts on descenders like the ID and Stop?
I want something that doesn't twist the line, EASY to tie and untie, even mid line, and a product thats not HUGE!

Why would your rope burn? Get some bailout cord.....

Also, when craning, I never untie my knot. Just pass it through a fixed friction saver attached above the crane ball..spliced eye is best...

speed is your friend, to save crane fees.....

...don't you guys have your own?

Tree climbers rarely had problems burning their ropes until the new advanced hitches came along using smaller diameter cord. If you just go 'old school' and tie a taut line hitch or Blake's hitch, the rope won't burn as easily as using a small 5/16" or 3/8" hitch cord.

Tree climbers rarely had problems burning their ropes until the new advanced hitches came along using smaller diameter cord. If you just go 'old school' and tie a taut line hitch or Blake's hitch, the rope won't burn as easily as using a small 5/16" or 3/8" hitch cord.

'tis true. A friend of mine who works for a sucessful crane co had the same questions a few years back. Bottom line was nothing worked as well as a blakes tied out of the same diameter stuff.....

keeep those fancy spliced split tails for pruning;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use a 11mm Velocity. So its either tie a Blake's with 11mm line, and burn the hitch cord up with rapid descents, or buy a whole new 1/2" climbing line to tie a Blake's with.

The cost of a descender is the same as a new climbing line roughly. Friction hitches are going to burn no matter what you tie or use. Some faster than others

RB, you stay tied into the pick and ride each one out? Then advance your friction hitch up the line again? Seems a little outrageous!
yes we have 2 cranes, and speed is definitely of the essence.

OTG
Why didn't the descenders work well?

Blakes hitch above a Fig.8 while descending. The blakes backs up the Fig.8 if something goes wrong!

Safe & Simple and no rope burn, just loosen up the hitch a little before descending and ride the F.8 down. ;)

HC

Attachments

• IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 119
I use a 11mm Velocity. So its either tie a Blake's with 11mm line, and burn the hitch cord up with rapid descents, or buy a whole new 1/2" climbing line to tie a Blake's with.

RB, you stay tied into the pick and ride each one out? Then advance your friction hitch up the line again? Seems a little outrageous!
QUOTE]

As I said, get some Bailout cord....Impossible to burn up....

Of course I don't stay tied in......just pull line out, slide hitch up quickly, choke lifeline below the cut, make cut....

RB

now I see! you had me nervous for a sec., I misunderstood you.

I may try the gri gri and see how that goes. if not it will be a blakes out of cheap 11mm rope from NE Rope.

thanks for the replies!

I am using icetail now with a Michoacan. I get 3-4 weeks per cord if I behave.

how about the lockjacks?

I would stick with the hitch cord, too. I think the time you spent fussing with a descender doesn't warrant having it. It sounds like you are trying to streamline your setup.

You mentioned maybe sticking with the blakes and cheap 11mm. Have you tried a VT, michoacan, distel, or any of the other advanced friction hitches? It's way faster/easier to pull a bunch of slack through these compared to the blakes.

If you wanna stick with the blaze, have you considered using a tougher line that can take the heat? I once made someone some 1/2 vectran split tails because they didn't wanna switch from the blakes, but didn't want melting either.

love
nick

I like HC's setup using the Figure 8 under a hitch. That way the 8 takes the heat while descending and its still quick to set up.

how about the lockjacks?

You should try one. Preferrably someone else's before you buy one. The LockJack when used with Velocity will do everything that you require.

Go for the Lock Jack Sport, it attaches midline, rope will not twist. It works as a heat sink. You will wear out cams about as fast as your hitches if used in the manner you describe.

Dave

I would stick with the hitch cord, too. I think the time you spent fussing with a descender doesn't warrant having it. It sounds like you are trying to streamline your setup.

You mentioned maybe sticking with the blakes and cheap 11mm. Have you tried a VT, michoacan, distel, or any of the other advanced friction hitches? It's way faster/easier to pull a bunch of slack through these compared to the blakes.

If you wanna stick with the blaze, have you considered using a tougher line that can take the heat? I once made someone some 1/2 vectran split tails because they didn't wanna switch from the blakes, but didn't want melting either.

love
nick

I am on Velocity with a Michoacan. I am Martins' personal cheerleader for this hitch for the past 3 years! lol!

Nick what cheap cord that can take some heat would you recommend? replacing Icetail at $30+ every few weeks is getting pricey........

tachyon can put a nice glaze on the beeline (8mm). and I'm just a shade over 200lbs.........

Normally any glazing goes unnoticed, the poly starts getting nubby and that's what leads to it's replacement.

I've had one beeline cord last the life of a hank of Posion Ivy. 265lbs + gear here.

I am on Velocity with a Michoacan. I am Martins' personal cheerleader for this hitch for the past 3 years! lol!

Nick what cheap cord that can take some heat would you recommend? replacing Icetail at $30+ every few weeks is getting pricey........

Bailout, Bull, Bailout. It won't glaze or wear out, is the word...but I don't even have any yet.

Also, I recently started using a michoacan on my lanyard..so far, my only use. Don't like it as well as a Vt....just like a knut, it binds up a tad too easily.

I would argue just the opposite. When you create rope on rope friction, a Blake's hitch tied with regular polyester climbing line will melt/burn much easier than a VT or Distel tied with a heat-resistant prusik cord like Bail Out.

I use a figure 8 on long descents, but it does cause the rope to twist below me. An I'd or Gri Gri would prevent twisting and also be self-braking so it would stop if you let go.

I do some fairly tall trees out here, and have never had a problem burning any rope while descending to the cut on a crane job. I use HRC, Bailout, Beeline, they all work well. Bounce turned me onto Bailout a couple of months ago, I like it best and so do my climbers.

I would argue just the opposite. When you create rope on rope friction, a Blake's hitch tied with regular polyester climbing line will melt/burn much easier than a VT or Distel tied with a heat-resistant prusik cord like Bail Out...

Isn't that comparing apples to Chevys?

Back