My new(ish) saw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
just a bit annoyed with Stihl, they no longer sell bars (in the UK anyway) for this saw, yet still sent an 088 bar, wtf. The Oregon bar cost £88+vat, a 4foot bar comes in at £235+vat!! Oh well 3foot it'll have to be for now!

Ok after much delay and hassle finding the right bar,(Stihl sent out an 088 bar in error) here she is with a 36" lasertip. Run up and raring to go, got a Beech takedown tomorrow, where she'll be a back up for the 066 & then the Alaskan Mill is on order.

wonder what it's like to use up a tree on spikes:/:

wonder what it's like to use up a tree on spikes:/:

Brutal, when I learned to climb working for my father an 090 was in the regular lineup. Big Cottonwoods with a 48" bar knocking down wood. It is all you can do to hang on.

An 090 has plenty of grunt,no doubt.

This bar issue comes up all the time.It really is not that hard to retrofit one mount of bar for another.I've done a bunch of them myself and it really is not that big of a deal.

The 4 foot bar on the Homey in my avatar is actually a hardnose Mac mount bar.The other bar for that saw is an 084/088 Stihl mount,3 footer .Both bars can fit both the big Homelite as well as the large Macs .The 3 footer of course would bolt right up to an 084.

and that saw--is a carbon copy of mine---why--because the exact same fin is missing on the recoil housing!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i repainted it---

An 090 has plenty of grunt,no doubt.

This bar issue comes up all the time.It really is not that hard to retrofit one mount of bar for another.I've done a bunch of them myself and it really is not that big of a deal.

The 4 foot bar on the Homey in my avatar is actually a hardnose Mac mount bar.The other bar for that saw is an 084/088 Stihl mount,3 footer .Both bars can fit both the big Homelite as well as the large Macs .The 3 footer of course would bolt right up to an 084.

Hmmm any ideas whether there are similarities between the 090 Stihls and the other makes, for bars to match up? Big (old) saws over here seem to be few and far between these days

Hmmm any ideas whether there are similarities between the 090 Stihls and the other makes, for bars to match up? Big (old) saws over here seem to be few and far between these days
I've never actually seen an 090 mount pattern.I have been told however that with minor differences they are close to the 084/088 mount.

If I'm not mistaken,Mike Acres web site shows a majority of the different mounts.

Just as an example,I pick up a large Stihl mount,Winser bar,36" plus a new loop of square ground chisel for around 45 bucks from e-bay.I turned a set of bushings to simulate the bosses used on Stihl bar studs and did just minimal work on the adjustment and oil hole to use this bar on both the large Homelite and Mac saws.

If I'm not mistaken the large Stihl mount bars use a 14mm slot .If you attempted to refit a Mac or Homelite bar,the slot would have to be milled out which would be not only costly but a pain in the butt to do.Besides that Stihl bars are much easier to find than the other ones.

if i could work out how to convert a MP4 file to MP3 i could show you that the beast lives!

we have an 090 in the workshop. its not been run for a year now. purrs away nicely when it does run. we run a 4 foot bar on it.

Jamie

That is about typical of an 090 .These things have an air vain governer that keep the rpm's down .Powerfull,not lightning fast.

The old ones you hear so much about in the saw races had been highly doctored on. I have been told that even a souped up only kicked em over at about 9,000 rpms,more or less.

According to my Stihl micro fiche the max HP of an 090 is 8.5 taken at 7,000 rpms.Max torgue is at 5,000 max permisable speed ,8000 .

Thinking about the 066, Tim hit some copper when cutting off the top chunk off the stump, we'd re-sharpened the saw, but the 090 was cutting a curve with a perfectly straight bar and brand new chain?!? I even double-checked the bar today when I stripped it down to make sure I hadnt bent it somehow.

Seemed rather timely ,I leeched a picture of the 090 mount from one for sale on e-bay.The seller said it would fit the 075/076 ,084/088 and the 090.

Attachments

• af20_12.jpg
    af20_12.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 107
Seemed rather timely ,I leeched a picture of the 090 mount from one for sale on e-bay.The seller said it would fit the 075/076 ,084/088 and the 090.
Yep, notice the double adjuster holes (one was added). All you need to do to mount a 088 bar on a 090 is drill new adjuster holes, the oiler works fine with the existing oil holes (I mill with one). 090s run slower, but about when newer saws start doggin, 090s are just digging in.

When I tried the Stihl Rollamatic bar, the oil hole was nowhere near the oil feed, I did consider drilling it out, but was wary of doing so, (not the best mechanic on the block) so returned it and swapped for the Oregon Lasertip.
Set the tacho on it today, she was revving at 6250rpm, now set to 6750rpm, midway between the two recommendations.

Back