My in tree throw line solution

• Thread starter The Branch Doctor
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 4K
T

The Branch Doctor

I've been experimenting with different things for years trying to come up with a user friendly solution to when I need to use a throw line while aloft. This is my latest. It's one of my icefishing poles with an old automatic fly reel. It works pretty good so far but I haven't mastered it yet.:D

Attachments

• Fly reel throw line 001.jpg
    Fly reel throw line 001.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Fly reel throw line 002.jpg
    Fly reel throw line 002.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Fly reel throw line 003.jpg
    Fly reel throw line 003.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Fly reel throw line 004.jpg
    Fly reel throw line 004.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 18
cool

looks good man.

I usually just tie a bullet into my climbing line. Lately I've been foolin' around with a throwbag attached to the eye splice on my climbing line. But I am almost convinced the bulllet will get me to where I need to go...........:)

i kinda couldn't imagine carrying it or swinging it in a tree.

i usually place steel krab on a line and accept whatever that range and a reaching tool. Working a rope around to make it dance, move, lower 1 side etc. is called flirting with the rope; kinda makes it mroe fun knowing that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mostly use it for when I have to get a drop line attached to a tip that I can't get to and situations like that.

It looks to me like you would have a hard time with the pole getting hung up as you attempted to cast while in the tree.
Your idea using the pole is to get the 'fling' effect thus getting the bag higher?

My experience is that while in the tree, you really only need to throw a short distance.
The idea of a fly fishing reel is great. Trying to stuff the throwline back into a little bag really sucks.

Here is my solution

Attachments

• flyreelthowline.jpg
    flyreelthowline.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 18
Someone needs to figure out how to load throwline into one of those reels of loggers tape that you see clipped to people's belts. Those things always seemed to have pretty strong springs, and you could pull out what you needed, put a slipknot in to keep the line from pulling back in, and toss it around. Once you're done, take the slipknot out the tape reel should have enough pull to take up the slack as you pull the throw ball back.

...just an idea. I've never taken apart one of those logger's tape spools. Burnam may know if it's possible though...

I cant see where I would have a need for some thing like this......But these ideas some times lead to some thing usefull

Throw bag

I too use the throw bag on the eye splice int he tree...i use a cheapie bveaner so if it gets stuck then I can just break it and at least get my line back..

Well heck yea, who do you think he learned it from? :/:

Yea, who do you think I learned it from? The second I saw your set up Ger, I went out and found a reel for myself.
Mine is a Walmart reel but it works just fine. Had to do a bit of drilling here and there but thats it.

It actually works, and doesn't take alot of space on my saddle.

Thanks Gerry!

Someone needs to figure out how to load throwline into one of those reels of loggers tape that you see clipped to people's belts. Those things always seemed to have pretty strong springs, and you could pull out what you needed, put a slipknot in to keep the line from pulling back in, and toss it around. Once you're done, take the slipknot out the tape reel should have enough pull to take up the slack as you pull the throw ball back.

...just an idea. I've never taken apart one of those logger's tape spools. Burnam may know if it's possible though...

It'd be easy to put the line on a Spencer tape. There is a little screw on the spool drum that accepts the end of the tape...you could tie off to that and snug it down no problem. You'd have to hook the loop of the slipknot to something, otherwise it would just pull in the slipknot and all. It could be done with a small snaphook mounted on one of the frame spacers, I bet. There is plenty of strength in the spring. I expect the 75 foot size frame would hold 60 feet for sure, probably a bit more...I fit a 100 foot tape in my 75 foot Spenser.

Back