My first tree removal vid.

• Thread starter Nails
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 7K
Maybe I'm not seeing it, But from what I do see it appears you had enough room to first work out the roping part and then simply toss as big a top as the LZ would allow, even the entire tree perhaps.

Anytime I can easily drop leads something I always ask myself "Can I use these limbs to help me to accurately move the tree?" Sometimes what appears to be the easiest way isn't always the best way - know whutta I mean?

I don't see where the GRCS was all that important. I do the same thing every day with a homemade portawrap.

I'm startin tu like you MB, I like a guy who speaks his mind about what he knows.

I was biten my tongue watchin that vid cause at first I thought Nails was kinda penned in and needed the device. Then when I saw him bombing big heads cuz he was running out of daylight, it hit me, he probably could've dropped the whole thing with a rope alone!

Nail's done a fine job on that oak, but I think it was more a demonstration of his GRCS than a production takedown!

Come clean Nails, what's the real story here?

jomoco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice Saddle. Nice Job.

Thanks. That's my first saddle since comming off a Buckingham buttsrap 4d'er. World of difference in comfort and range of movement.

I'm startin tu like you MB, I like a guy who speaks his mind about what he knows.

I was biten my tongue watchin that vid cause at first I thought Nails was kinda penned in and needed the device. Then when I saw him bombing big heads cuz he was running out of daylight, it hit me, he probably could've dropped the whole thing with a rope alone!

Nail's done a fine job on that oak, but I think it was more a demonstration of his GRCS than a production takedown!

Come clean Nails, what's the real story here?

jomoco

Well, if you aren't happy with 2 hours and no damage then I don't know what to tell ya. Running out of daylight? More like started at 7am and done at 9am. There's a pool, a house with a porch, a well, a satelite dish, and neighboring trees, those drops weren't guesses, they were on the money.

It's all good, but I was curious if you had someone with a line set backing you up as you first ascended the tree. It looked like you were free climbing, but I'm sure I was not seeing the lifeline.

Correct? :drink:

Great job, and good videotography. Just the way I would have done it when I was your age, Nails.

Although when I was your age,, we didn't have a GRCS, amongst other things.

I enjoyed your video for as much as the old school in it as the new school.

You got words of admiration and praise from the master himself, it's all good. 8)

This is a tough crowd; I admire anyone who has the cajones to post a climbing video.

I've been known to free climb on the way up a tree. :/:

Well, if you aren't happy with 2 hours and no damage then I don't know what to tell ya. Running out of daylight? More like started at 7am and done at 9am. There's a pool, a house with a porch, a well, a satelite dish, and neighboring trees, those drops weren't guesses, they were on the money.

2 hours Nails?

Now don't get all huffy, yu can't post a vid on a climber's website and expect everyone to pat you on the back and say good job.

You did a fine job, but I still think you overplayed it a little for the camera!

Looked mighty cold out though!

jomoco

It's all good, but I was curious if you had someone with a line set backing you up as you first ascended the tree. It looked like you were free climbing, but I'm sure I was not seeing the lifeline.

Correct? :drink:

I've set a belay on bigger trees, but this one I freeclimbed to the top.

You did a fine job, but I still think you overplayed it a little for the camera!

Hell, who doesn't do that?

tree-07.jpg

Ya, I don't really understand that? I used to freeclimb a bit until the strap/flipline could reach around, but that was before I knew what a climbline was.

2 hours Nails?

Now don't get all huffy, yu can't post a vid on a climber's website and expect everyone to pat you on the back and say good job.

Looked mighty cold out though!

jomoco

Yes, 2 hours. I always wear a watch to get a feel for accurate bidding. If you have any more questions shoot, I'll do my best to answer them.

Yes, 2 hours. I always wear a watch to get a feel for accurate bidding. If you have any more questions shoot, I'll do my best to answer them.

Okay, have you ever tried finding a nice big sturdy crotch in your tree over an open LZ away from the house to lower stuff over the house from?

Generally that works better than lowering stuff onto or just next to the home.

That was a nice fine tree with lots of good structure well away from the house that I would have lowered from.

So my question is why were your lowering points so close to the house?

jomoco

No need to worry about that I haven't fallen. And now that I know safer ways I wouldn't do it, unless I had to. But I did it for many years on big stems that the flipline wouldn't fit around. Never fell, ever.

Back