MS260 port job

WWB, I think you may need to edit your username to wood(andmetal)workingboy.:D Although I did see you were using a wooden plane to prop up your cylinder. Nice pics Jay and Al! Thanks.

Thanks Dave! When it comes to woodworking, I'll accept a few compliments, but the metal working stuff, I'm sure Al would have the job done before I even had a clue on how to approach it.

I picked up the lathe for tonage at a refuse dump, kind of where my metal working skills belong too. Still, I do like the small tolerances that some metal working entails working to...something exciting about plus/minus .003". It's helped me to tighten up the woodwork a bit.

They must have .Haven't you heard the expression "a frogs hair" :P

Well...it was another type of hair that my brother clued me into when he taught me about close tolerances. ;)

Had to surface grind a bearing preload spacer to within .00025 one time...some amount of sweat involved, we only had one...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well i tried it the way jay sugessted but i used solder that was to large diameter. should have done the math. any way i took it apart again and decided to just run the solder through the plug hole. then i liked what i saw and decided to run it! im impressed! any who im going to spin up 2 new chains and run the modded one and the stock one side by side:)

Attachments

• ms260 port 035.jpg
    ms260 port 035.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 11
  • ms260 port 037.jpg
    ms260 port 037.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ms260 port 038.jpg
    ms260 port 038.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 9
thats what i thought when i buried it in an oak log

by the way, it spun up to 15k. where should this saw be set at?

santa got into my wallet last week and brought me one!

+1
You didn't say what all you did to the saw, Reddog's assessment seems wise.

That is some big mother solder in the pic :O

And that is fine Al.

But now you need to go on and explain about what to look for in a lean condition so he does not burn up a new modded saw.

I will go against the grain on this one, if I am wrong, I am sure someone will spank me:lol:

I mod a saw to get power from it. And being an engine is nothing more than an air pump, you want to move as much air as you can to make that power. I tend to set them until they four stroke. My modded 350 runs a 14,700, much higher than stock. But that is kinda the point, you get the revs and it cuts faster.
Not all saws like the revs, some cut better richened up a tad more, some like to cut leaned out a tad more. You will have to adjust it, make some cuts, adjust it some more and see what makes it happy. BUT ALWAYS watch the plug!!!! A nice brown tint is what you are after!!!! And if the saw sounds like it's screaming bloody murder out of the cut, it's probably lean!!!

And that is fine Al.

But now you need to go on and explain about what to look for in a lean condition so he does not burn up a new modded saw.
If she's a cacklin like a hen four stroking she ainta running lean ,Red .

You can "read " the plug .Black is too rich,light brown is about right ,white is too lean .

My idea is to set it a tad rich until you get a few tanks of fuel ran through it then lean it down until it just cackles .It should cackle until you get maybe 3 to 4 inchs into the cut then lean and cut like a maniac then richen up comming out of the cut .

Back