MS200 rear handle or MS260 Pro

My last 200T that I bought last summer was noticably stronger than my other two as well. Maybe they tweaked the porting or improved the carb or something in the last year.
They had been doing some improvement on the carbs from what info I recall seeing on another site . What it actually was I have not a clue .Most likely something to do with the compensating portion of the carb which detects decreased flow though the air filter . I'm clueless about how that actually works .

Once again, I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree. Butch has never touched or even laid eyes on a hopped up 346 like mine. With it I'll outcut him and his ms440 sharpened by the ground crew guy on anything 20" or smaller. And since I'm only 5'7" instead of 6'2" the slightly shorter bar reaches the limbs just fine without any extra bending over.

Butch, you may be right for your situation but you are not representative of every sawman in the world. There are others who use different saws and different methods but are as fast and efficient as you are. Your methods won't work for everybody.

Now you can bring it back up in another 6 months and my opinion will still be the same. I'll STILL outwork you with my 346 vs you with your 440 on limbing and brushing.
:P

Hey, if you like bending over to operate your saw, more power to ya. A 26", 28" bar is the perfect length for my height and no 026 is gonna pull that. Alas, I have no experience running a "a hopped up 346."

But my ass is built closer to the ground than yours, so I can run a shorter bar without bending. If I had to run a saw with a 28" bar all day long I'd be fighting to keep it up off the ground. I save that size bar for chunking up the big wood.

I primarly ran 20" bars most of the time ..Here of late though it is kind of nice to get that extra 4 or 8 inchs hanging out there so as to not bend over as far . Unless you're into larger stuff it really doesn't slow them down that much .

Those folks on the western slopes most likey think a 28 is a tiny thing .

I am gonna go with Butch and say I like the 440 on the ground. If I'm standing by the chuck n duck the 357xp gets the nod, but overall I like the 440 for bucking, I just hate waiting for saws in the cut, or not having any torque when you need it.

Then you need to sort the problem and get that beauty saw running well. I prefer my hopped up 361 for slicing and dicing.

Finally got a 200 rear handle, only got to use it about an hour this past week. Got one tank of fuel through. Its light, when it gets broken in I think is going to be the cats meow. Definetly getting rid of the 260 I own, so If anyone is interested I'll get some pictures up of it.

pull the screen off it, right now! It's a little screamer.
To be quite truthfull about it,that's about all you need to do .

I ported one of course and it runs like a raped ape but I'm not sure it runs that much better for all the work involved in it . I could really turn it on if I leaned it a tad but being the somewhat conservative type I don't want to chance cooking the piston .

Ranger,

Get the rearhandled one to use for climbing instead of the T. You will like it. My son who is also a climber uses a rearhandled 200 now for climbing now instead of the top handle. Took me awhile to convince him till he finally caved in and tried one. No more tophandles for him when he climbs. You have more reach with a rearhandled saw. A lightweight firecracker like the MS 200 is just the ticket.

Sweet, congrats! Do you have experience with the ms200t?

Yeah Prolly not as much as you sir, but a few years shy of a decade. I still think the rear handle is lighter, or at least the ergonomics make it feel lighter. I know my elbow thanked me at the end of the day today.

I need to pull the screen out of it, I was trying to get a few tanks of gas through it before I started tinkering

Ranger,

Get the rearhandled one to use for climbing instead of the T. You will like it. My son who is also a climber uses a rearhandled 200 now for climbing now instead of the top handle. Took me awhile to convince him till he finally caved in and tried one. No more tophandles for him when he climbs. You have more reach with a rearhandled saw. A lightweight firecracker like the MS 200 is just the ticket.

Thanks Larry, I just may give it a try. I've always wondered about a rear handle in the tree.

Now I just have to wait for summer to get here so I can earn the $$$ to start buying this new gear!!! (and maybe I should start charging for these new tails I'm making for Dad:D)

I used to run the old 026, and I thought it was a pretty decent saw. The new 260 doesn't seem to quite match up though. The placebo carb is quite frustrating.

Leon, try the 346xp Husky. Not trying to make you switch brands or anything, but in that size saw the Husky runs circles around the MS260.

So does anyone on here besides Larry have some experience with the 200 as a climbing saw?? I read through the thread and saw a few mentions on the topic, but no one really went into a lot.

Back