ms 660

sotc

Dormant hero!!
so i used my 660 the other day and it ran like a champ. i bought it a year ago this week. the guys were using it and it ran out of gas, they fueled it up and couldnt get it going. when i got there i assumed they flooded it so i went to crank it up and the "compression" seemed high. i pushed the compression release and it didnt get better:O so i just pulled the plug and it looks good through the hole but still hard to pull over. any ideas? it reeally has low hours

yep....or broken wrist pin off the piston or something....that sucks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks brian, ill pack it up tommorrow:lol:
guess ill pull the muffler, it was working but shoot it shouldent get that hot:dur:

If they were running it hard and then ran it right out of gas.......running your saw lean on that last bit of gas is not a good thing to do.

the old 046 gets that treatment all the time and she was still pulling this afternoon. guess ill have to take care of the dainty ms's

I dunno for sure but my 660 isn't a real screamer those crazy rpm's near the end of a tank I would think would be a little harder on it than a 46.

And it's still not a good thing to do to a saw!!:what:

:D

If the thing was running lighter oil mix and running hot,running them out of gas is not good at all .

Pull the muffler,take a peek .If it's galled don't panic ,it can be saved for not much money .[usually]

I try to avoid running the saw on fumes. If you stop when it gets to that point, it is also easier to start again.

:D

im an abuser:D actually i usually shut her down when i hear it suck air for the reason frans mentioned. sometime though ill try and finish that last cut:)

If they were running it hard and then ran it right out of gas.......running your saw lean on that last bit of gas is not a good thing to do.

I dunno for sure but my 660 isn't a real screamer those crazy rpm's near the end of a tank I would think would be a little harder on it than a 46.

My first thoughts when you mentioned it was run out of gas.

Yep... a sawyer has to know that when they have been runnin' the thing for a couple of hours, and it starts to come up in RPM's they are runnin' out of gas and must shut it down.

Runnin' a saw lean until it shut off (runs out of gas) is not good at all... I wouldn't be suprised that you will see a little piston damage when you pull the muffler.

Gary

actually looked pretty good in there. must be the wrist pin. guess ill have to tear it down. talked to the guys this am about running the saws clear out and the said they actually threw a chain, didnt run it clear out. so thats throwing me for a loop. ill take pics when i break it open

one of the down sides i guess, i do love that saw!

actually looked pretty good in there. must be the wrist pin. guess ill have to tear it down. talked to the guys this am about running the saws clear out and the said they actually threw a chain, didnt run it clear out. so thats throwing me for a loop. ill take pics when i break it open
I doubt you scewed up a wrist pin. If you pulled some aluminum on the piston just clean out the bore,shine the piston, new rings ,off to the races .Those damned pistons don't have to be as perfect as most would think .Once the new rings get seated you most likely won't be able to tell the difference . With that statement 10,000 Stihl dealers have placed a price on my head,no doubt .;)

So if I'm going to put a saw on the shelf for a while like an 038, should I run it out gas or just dump the gas out?

whats the difference? running it out cold at i idle i assume?

Back