ms 660

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well it looks good in there, still has cross hatch down low:|: with the cylinder off it turns over nicely. i feel like putting it back together but thought id ask if i should do anything or replace anything while im in there? the 5th shot seems like a funny spot by the port. hard to get good photos inside there

Attachments

• ms660 003.jpg
    ms660 003.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ms660 004.jpg
    ms660 004.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ms660 006.jpg
    ms660 006.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ms660 009.jpg
    ms660 009.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 10
  • ms660 011.jpg
    ms660 011.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ms660 013.jpg
    ms660 013.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ms660 014.jpg
    ms660 014.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 10
Only a suggestion but clean all the dust off that saw before you disect it in the future .Dirt inside of an engine can be your worst nightmare .:O

By the looks of the top of the piston and ex port that thing is running plenty rich enough,maybe too much so .It may have a snag in the corner of the ex port .Check the ring for a like mark on it .

If the ring is chipped replace them,sand out that mark a little and put -er back together .

thanks al, i blew her of before i tore it down but the cracks were dirty:dur: the rings had a shiny spot but ill look again for cracks. gaps go on opposite sides or 90 degrees? should i do anything to the ports that is easy while im in it?

thanks al, i blew her of before i tore it down but the cracks were dirty:dur: the rings had a shiny spot but ill look again for cracks. gaps go on opposite sides or 90 degrees? should i do anything to the ports that is easy while im in it?
The port work is up to you . An 066/ms 660 has enough go -get -em already without doing a thing to it . My suggestion if you've never done port work to a saw is leave it alone. Practice on a more inexpensive saw first before you get to tinkering with one that costs over a thousand bucks to replace .

Now ,if you question those rings,replace them.They aren't that costly to buy .

Maybe it's just the lighting, but I am seeing a mark on the piston intake side on the right as well Willie. That might be worth looking at.
The nick on the exh. side is noteworthy and might be you're hangup as others said.
If you eally want to, and feel comfortable you can widen and smooth the ports, that will gain a bit more tourqe, but I wouldn't recomend going crazy with them. Al nailed this one, it's an expensive saw to learn on!!
All in all, I don't see anything terribly wrong with it.

Me and my dad blew up two husqvarna 3120xp saws in half an hour from brand new last year. My old man mixed the fuel with outboard two stroke oil. I feel your pain!

running again, im gonna go run the tar out of it this afternoon

Earlier this week all my saws started running lean and hot. I haven't done anything different, but the gas pumps at Sam's (where I've been fueling up for the last 2 months) now have the '10% ethanol' stickers on them. After figuring it out, I grabbed a spare 5 gallon can and went and got good gas at the Mobil this morning for mix gas. The saws are back to normal, not overheating and not stalling out at an idle after running hard.

If you're running ethanol fuel, you need to tune your saws for it and not swap back and forth between ethanol fuel and non ethanol fuel. They burn at different rates and you WILL kill your saws.

I used outboard 2-cycle mix for years cuz I didn't know any better Will, and didn't seem to have any more trouble with my saws than I have now. Good luck with you saw Willie.

Brian, when they switched all the gas in Hawaii to E10 the local saw dealer convinced me to switch to a new 2-cycle mix called Opti-2 Enviro Mix. He claimed that it was formulated to run with ethanol fuel. I never did any research on it, but the saws seemed to run with no problems when I started using it.

Of course, using non-ethanol fuel is preferential, but we didn't have that choice in Hawaii.

Yup, I used to run Optimol 25 years ago when it was still new. I never ran it at 100-1 but it's a very good mix oil and works perfectly at normal mix ratios.

My point was that ethanol fuel and non ethanol fuel burn at different rates. If you're going to run ethanol fuel, then tune your saws for it and only use ethanol fuel. Otherwise, avoid it. Don't swap back and forth between them or you will burn up saws.

I am to the point I buy the highest octane rated fuel I can for my saws. It seems the higher the octane the lower the Ethanol.
I honestly don't mind running Ethanol in my cars, but it's hell on saws.

dont know why it hung up, the rings looked fine so i polished it up a bit and ran it a couple hours yesterdayn all day today, running great

I used outboard 2-cycle mix for years cuz I didn't know any better Will, and didn't seem to have any more trouble with my saws than I have now. Good luck with you saw Willie.

The old mans eye sight isnt the best,he might have mixed it wrong too.

Back