Mini Mod, Suitcase Weights

I used to work at a place that had all terrain forklifts, when the stack of counterweights (10 x 75 pounds of iron) was taxed out, the challenge was to see how many co workers you could get to hang off the back of the machine in order to lift the load. I remember having 3 guys leaning WAY out to get 2 pallets of dolomite lime offloaded. :) that and the bounce steering, when the back end of the forklift bonked the ground the wheels would shunt it left or right depending on the steering input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all above.

It's a pretty simple idea really. I'm wondering myself why they wouldn't put them on from the start.

After Carl's welding class, I've sure been having fun with my ideas.

Reddog, I actually knew a kid who crashed his 2wd truck into a tree. He had a few brake rotors or something in the bed, it went through the center of the window missing his head by inches.

Looking good Brendon. I have a have a dozen weights that came off the front of my John Deere and are no longer needed as it has the loader on it now. I've been pondering putting them on the back of the tractor but I don't want them to interfere with the 3 pt., or the drawbar, or putting oil in the tranny.

I remember riding around with someone in a mini truck that had a couple of rotors from an F350 rolling around the back. Scared the chit outta me when they rolled around, wasn't expecting it.

They are ballast, but that would stress the lift a good bit more as they are rated with a 180lb operator I believe.

So, the weights are lifted, or ballasting the lift angle, load and length (leverage)?

If ballasting, i'd think they'd add weight, but pull the CG more inline, to place less stress (make bearings last longer etc., as would larger tires)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can never understand your posts, I'll let Carl answer. :lol:

Here's what I think in English.:)

You add more weight to the back, behind the COG, you'll lift more in front of the COG. I'm guessing I'll be able to lift an extra 250lbs.

Steve, make a 3pt attachment to hold the weights

I'm thinking that may be the best alternative Willie. I would have to remove them when I do the ridge in my walnuts and that would be a PITA but that maybe a necessary evil. I can't make them stick out the back much because it barely fits in the trailer now. When I have a heavy piece it lifts the drive wheels up and you have no traction.
I don't want to invade Brendon's thread here but it is the same subject I guess.:/:

What I hate the worse about no traction is no brakes. I get a bit irrate when I get on our tractor and dad has taken it out of 4wd because he thinks it reduces wear. I usually notice when I'm sliding down a hill. I nearly ran him over (he was on the Exmark) when I tried to go down the wet grass on the dam.

B, keep a sharp eye out on your plate. I just happened to take a look at mine just now. Looks like after I get the grinder taken care of, this will be my next project. Haven't decided if I'm going to try and straighten this out or patch it up while I build a new bomber plate. If I build another, I'll make two and send you one.

Getting a pretty wicked bow:
DSC05951.jpg

Tilt cylinder attachment is tearing out:
DSC05948.jpg

DSC05950.jpg

The welds on the face have let go.
DSC05952.jpg

If Brendon adds about four more of those JD weights on his Thomas, he can have his mount plate looking like LJ's in no time

Get your welder goin Karl

oh yeah nice job BV

Then foam fill the tires and you should have plenty of balast....:D

If ballasting, i'd think they'd add weight, but pull the CG more inline, to place less stress (make bearings last longer etc., as would larger tires)?

I can never understand your posts, I'll let Carl answer. :lol:

Here's what I think in English.:)

You add more weight to the back, behind the COG, you'll lift more in front of the COG. I'm guessing I'll be able to lift an extra 250lbs.

Adding any weight adds more weight. But, if it is ballast weight, the CG carries more properly centered in the cradle of the frame and 4 tires; leveraging system less, less wear on lift/front end etc.. Larger tires is another example of increasing weight, but with a positive mechanic(in some respects), in that tires would make less revolutions for same distance; and bearing wear would decrease again. On the flip side though, bigger tires would raise cg. Also in racing, the wheels are unsprung weight (direct to road, rest of body weight is thru bearing then to road), so any increase in the wheel weight has the effect of increasing sprung weight/ rest of car weight several times; increasing that weight effect the faster you go. So, racers, bicycles etc. brag about how much they shave off of wheel weight (even by drilling holes in the structural parts to hopefully not weaken too much), because that has the effect of shaving a multiple of that weight off the rest of the car/bike; especially the faster you go.

If rigging stuff off 'front side' of itself in tree; it is better if you leave some back weight, as ballast, so that total of weight on spar is greater, but the cg is more inline with the spar support (if having to rig both, might even try going back and forth and keeping them more even, 1 ballasting the other as you go). Also, would try falling back hard into lanyard; hitting it hard just as load was hitting front side on rope; to once again; have total 'weight and impact forces' increased; but the sum of their CG more properly down the column of the spar/support; rather than just so much down 1/front side where rig is.

Realizing the dance of forces thru a system, and the small things you can do to give leveraged adjustmeants can help maximize your efforts to target. They all work on the same principals; from daily examples all around you, jsut sift out the underlying mechanics. Once you have those; it is easier to see them hiding in their different forms, in different work you take on IMLHO.

It doesn't freeze that hard here, so water makes a flat tire much easier to deal with. Does it eat up the rim?

You know water doesn't seem to rust the rim like you think it would. I was asking about the calcium chloride, but I guess it doesn't either.

Back