Mini lanyard add on option

Basically yes....Like that.. Only in extremely hard to get to places.. Or very iffy places.. and that looks like both.. Not an everyday thing.. TY again Gary :)
So it aint jus me ... LOL
That's why I liked his lil mini lanyard option... I would incorporate it into the extra lines for faster transfers of the line to the saddle...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am kind sitting on the fence with this two lanyard system. Pro's and con's to it. I recently just made up a regular lanyard for removals. I also have another lanyard that is similar to the DEDA that has been recently linked to. I use a similar system only no rope running on the backside of the saddle. My system is one one side of the saddle using one length of rope but can be adjusted with two seperate different adjusters. Both lanyards can be interchanged quickly depending on what I am doing for either a removal or trimming out on the ends of a tree.

Double crotching will serve the same purpose as a two lanyard system but after all these years I avoid pulling rope as much as possible. This is just me though. Call me whiny but having that second adjuster can be very useful for an extra point for balance while trimming out on the ends of limbs. I seldom need a polesaw these days as the DEDA allows you to work your way out farther on a limb when doing spurless climbing. Your weight is shared more evenly on those skinny branches and you have good balance using a handsaw.

Gay's picture is an excellent example of using two lanyards or a DEDA in addition to the main TIP plus a double crotch with the climbing line. It is darn handy out on the ends of some of those limbs especially those that are really sticking far out of the general outline of the crown of the tree. I know I have been there with wires galore and a garage and a garden shed under a big limb with a nil drop zone. Even double crotching wasn't enough. Having a second adjustable lanyard in your sysyem can get you where you need to go.

Basically how the two lanyard system works is you get out as far as can by limb walking till you rope angle starts pulling you back. Lanyard in with the primary side of the DEDA ,that's what I call it anyway. Let out some more rope then throw that second adjustable lanyard ahead of you and clip in. Then start adjusting and pulling yourself forward by letting out more rope either from you climbline or primary lanyard. Swings you out farther than your first tie in with lanyard A and your wieght is shared so you no loading one particalar limb or branch. Basically the second part of the DEDA is for balance as it makes for a good comfortable work position on some skinny limbs.

The con's to this system is all the extra rope to manage plus the loops. Once you get onto it it isn't too bad. But it can be a pain and isn't for every climber which is why I made up two lanyards, Kind of like going back to the old days doing removals with spurs to give you the positioning you need and doing top jobs with spurs. OOPS, no one heard that did they.

Honestly on a staight pole takedown , or a spreader where a single safety and climb line will suffice I may never touch the second safety .... But in complex , er , situations it sure is nice ! I leave my second girthed to to the right Dee ... needed or not ... keeps me versatile ...

Honestly on a staight pole takedown , or a spreader where a single safety and climb line will suffice I may never touch the second safety .... But in complex , er , situations it sure is nice ! I leave my second girthed to to the right Dee ... needed or not ... keeps me versatile ...

What he said.....

I won't put on number two till I see the need..

I won't put on number two till I see the need..[/QUOTE]

Yeah Brother , and at that point ... aren't you glad you brung it up there with ya ...

Why would I need an extra lanyard when I have a climbing rope clipped to my side?

Thats what I was getting at. I only see the need for 2 points of support. A climbing line is one, the lanyard the other. And Ill say it again, a climbing line with a split tail is no different than a lanyard, only longer.
And a lanyard is no different than a climbing line, only shorter.

I do alot of crown thinning large fir/cedar trees and I gotta have 2 lanyards as well as climbing line with split tail. A carabiner and rope get abused too much and I like to have the weight and durability of steel core with safety snap.

I like to have 2 long as heck laynerds.
But then i treat a tree like an aid climb so never mind me.
Cool idea AXE

I do alot of crown thinning large fir/cedar trees and I gotta have 2 lanyards as well as climbing line with split tail. A carabiner and rope get abused too much and I like to have the weight and durability of steel core with safety snap.
Heck Yeah... No abuse on my climb line and cable core is the chit... unless you work around voltage and I don't for the most part.

Back