bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
So I saw that Treestuff started carrying these:

MESC001.jpg
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1889

I have a larger one (69L) except mine is older and its beige:
Quarter-Dome-th.jpg
http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/haul_bags.html

All in all I can't say enough about mine. Its the toughest thing I own and is built in a way that seems to be forgotten nowadays. It isn't big on organization; one pocket on the top flap and the rest is a bucket. Load it up and dump it out. They are made to be dragged against hillsides and rock cliffs without damaging the contents so you could likely drag it behind a truck without a problem. Not the MOST comfortable thing for extended treks, when compared to a backpackers backpack but thats not what i use it for. A "throw it in the mud and use it as a seat" kind of bag, these things are tough!

I will compare every bag I ever buy to this guy for sure! All of the straps and stuff are super heavy webbing and are attached with girth hitches and other removable replaceable methods. I have stuck small people in mine; hung it by the handle straps on top and picked it up with the shoulder straps and ran 100 yards; all without a creak or a complaint from the pack!

I havent used the Mescalito (24L) for sale at Treestuff and it does note that it is made with a lighter weight Durathane product, but I can say with the certainty that the full size rigs are the best in the business.

Anyone else use these?

(EDIT) There is an additional line of 'haul packs' the smaller ones (mine fits into 'haul bag'). The largest one is the 'Express', at 39L which seems like a good size.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/haul_packs.html

I use the smaller sized bag and it's awesome. That thing is built for rock climbing and can take the pounding of tree work for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I noticed Luke @ Treestuff is carrying a bigger selection of Metolius haul bags, namely the Express, Mescalito, Quarter Dome and Sentinel.

That got me to looking at my haulbag and suddenly I am not so sure which one I have?

Mine measures
27" T
14" W
10" D
5" collar

The Quarter Dome is http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/quarter_dome.html
27" T
16" W
10" D
5.5" collar
69liters

The Sentinel is http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/sentinel.html
25" T
12" W
9" D
4" collar
46 liters

It seems minor but I quadruple checked the measurements. It isnt 16 wide, no way no how and the collar is off that 1/2" too. Mine has three rivets but you cant tell in the Sentinel picture how many rivets it has. My only concern is that the whole thing is oval shaped and the collar contours. So I am not sure where the measurements were taken. I took mine at the widest point except for the collar which I did at the narrowest... I guess if you were inclined you could make the measurements come up either way

My best guess is its just an older Quarter Dome, with slightly different measurements. In any event I thought I would mention again how tough these things are, it still looks as good as the day I got it except for a bit of dirt and some scuffs. I popped the top rivet off by picking it up and swinging it around by the vertical compression strap which probly wasnt the best idea, but it still works as good as ever.

If anyone ever thinks of buying a heavy duty gear bag these are the only ones to consider! Like Jamin says in his review on Treestuff "If you like the idea of buying a product that could potentially last decades, this is it."

I bought one and love it. You can throw it anywhere. I'm pretty sure mine is the mescalito and in it I store

150 blaze + hitch climber setup and rope sleeve
75' blue moon + hitch climber setup and rope sleeve
Ropewalker setup (chest harness, unicender, foot ascenders, etc)
Tree flex harness
Helmet
Extra biners
Zubat

Basically everything I need.

If you are thinking on getting one, just get it.

love
nick

I have had mine since my days on the tower. I can remember seeing my boss marshall standing on it in the van in his wet muddy boots, all my things for the week inside it, and thinking to myself 'whatever'.

I bought one and love it. You can throw it anywhere. I'm pretty sure mine is the mescalito and in it I store

150 blaze + hitch climber setup and rope sleeve
75' blue moon + hitch climber setup and rope sleeve
Ropewalker setup (chest harness, unicender, foot ascenders, etc)
Tree flex harness
Helmet
Extra biners
Zubat

Basically everything I need.

If you are thinking on getting one, just get it.

love
nick

Chingas! How do you manage to pick that thing up, must weigh a ton!

I have a Metolius Half Dome for stuffing my gear into quick for when I'm caught in our near daily afternoon summer showers. Completely water proofed and tough as nails. I'll also use it as a rope bag when I'm working amongst trees with gnarly briars or the like -around the base. It's tall, stays opened and you can easily route slacked rope back into it at heights.

I have two Metolius Crag Station bags for hauling my gear to the site. Here's a photo of one -with my removal gear and what it holds.

I also use 3 Metolius RopeMaster bags to carry my work lines– and I use the Metolius PortaCord rope bag for my climbing line. I like this one due to all the outside attachment loops -that I use for my carabiners, snaps and cordage.

image.jpg

Chingas! How do you manage to pick that thing up, must weigh a ton!

You're absolutely right. In fact it's holds more than you can comfortably carry. When I bought my Half Dome and had it loaded— half way, with just over 30lbs of gear, one of the plastic shoulder buckles failed. I then had to resort to carrying it by the two longer top mounted straps -slung over a shoulder. This was actually a comfortable way of transporting it because since it's so tall, you don't need to lift it very high, as you would for using it as a backpack.

I called Metolius and told them about the breakage and they sent me out 4 of the bombproof aluminum buckles that are also located inside the back for load securing. Not to mention the cool T-shirt, beer coolie and stickers thrown in there as well.
;)

You broke something on a Metolius bag??? With 30lbs?

I just had Jacob Sauers put my quarterdome on over the weekend, with me STANDING in it, and I jumped up and down. I am atleast 170 now.

Have him pick it up by one strap and sling it over his shoulder as one would do, to wear it like a back pack. That is what happened to me.

Metolius acknowledged this design flaw. I'm curious as to if they'll have their Vietnamese assembling team fix this.

Then you should write them.

The more people who do, the quicker it gets fixed

Oh, and don't forget include your shirt size in the heading ;). I'm wearing mine now...

What I don't like about the bags mentioned are that they're top loaded. Unless you have your gear separated in other smaller stuff sacks, then put into say- a half dome or mescalito, you'll end with a challenging exercise of gear entanglement.

I guess it could be likened to traveling on holiday— by either using a laundry bag or a suite case to pack your belongings.

My Half Dome is way cool, but totally impractical for my needs. But the Crag Station carries large, has back pack, duffle, and top loop carrying options. Not to mention it totally unzips, exposing every square inch. Bomb proof XL zippers with nylon pull straps, large side pocket that I use for various lanyards, cordage, etc. and a smaller side pocket that I use for hand pruners or my wedges files and other trinkets.

The top loaded models are great, but the Crag Station is the apex....

My tool truck is my "gear bag".

And even it ain't big enough!

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 14
I hear ya.

Since I do this part time, I have to load my gear in bags, carry it down my steps, throw it in my vehicle, drive to the job site, unload, then load again when finished, carry back up my stairwell, then finally put away. What a pain in the rear! It takes 1/2 hour-- and six trips from my door, to my car to ready myself.

Funny though, it's really a zen moment of reflection when I'm doing all this. So I'm not minding it as much doing it- as I am thinking about it the night before.

Back