Messed up bearings on chipper: VIDEO

Thats unacceptable. Like said, because of the pita factor, maintenance might be overlooked. You should not have ropes holding your 100 hr chipper from doing something it shouldn't do. Your too calm, id be livid. Its not like our equipment is cheap.

I stopped by the morbark booth at the expo and informed a couple of interested guys about how they deal with their warrantee issues. The Rep assured the potential buyers this was BS that they always stand behind their machines. I said yup, till the check clears........

As Merle says hopefully with social media this shit will change, let them be held accountable for their shoddy dealings.

Nick if I were you I would just take a hammer and bend the top of the bracket that holds the pin for the swing of the discharge shoot back up so you won't need the rope. If that shoot ever swings whilst in transit it could easily kill somebody, take care of that. the shaft is also not setup correctly but I don't imagine that will cause too much issue. Basically they did a pretty shitty job.

Morbark should be ashamed to do business like this and lie to its customers that they stand behind their product.

Nick,

These Morbark guys are getting a free ride at your expense. You say "it's no big deal" to those machinations you have to do to close chutes, etc. I disagree...it'll be easy for someone to pull or strain something doing all the stuff you had to do...or lose their grip/balance and get hurt.

I think Morbark should replace that with a new chipper...at the least totally make your work simply, easily, not leak, etc.

I think someone at Morbark will pay attention to your very explicit and reasonable video.

That chute is definitely a liability now. If it swings while you're heading through LA and takes some bodies head off, think about that, let alone if it swings while chipping and a passer by take a piece of Palm frond in the eye. Aside from the obvious though, you've got an open and shut case IMHO. Morbark should fix all said problems at no charge to you and supply you with a loaner. You custom ordered the thing for Christ Sake!

Ok so let's put some pressure on these guys. Nothing wrong with some good ol' on-line protesting:

We could all send an e-mail to the people at morbark and the dealer, wiith a link to the video, just bombard their inbox with it. If they don't wake up and realize something isn't right then they shouldn't be in business.

So I was thinking about this, you know Morbark is going to come back with the retort that this is one isolated incident from one "bad apple" dealer. However that dealer was chosen by them and if they don't live up to their standards shouldn't be a dealer so IMO this is totally on Morbark. If one of my guys fucks something up on a job I don't just tell the customer Oh Im sorry but that was Robby not me.....

We should all call Morbark and ask to talk to the president of the company!

OK just called Morbark at 989 866 2381 and tried to talk to John Shoemaker their president who surprise surprise wasn't available.

I think anybody who reads this thread should also call him and let him know how you feel about this.

Greasing bearings is a subjective thing. Bearings can and are commonly over greased resulting in a shorter than expected life. One example is my Rayco stump grinder. Dad would grease twice a day, bearings would last 3-400 hours at most. I stopped greasing them entirely (to prove a point) and the bearings now have ~1100 hours on them and are still serviceable. The truth is they could handle some grease currently. This is not saying you shouldn't grease your chipper as per the owners manual, but it is to say that owners manuals have been wrong before. Personally I wouldn't grease them very frequently.

I can't speak for the whole of Morbark as we are only a Boxer dealer. However, with Gehl/Mustang, warranty will pay for ground shipping of warranty parts, or pay that portion and you can pay the rest for expedited shipping. At the dealer level, depending on the situation, we have paid for overnight shipping out of our pockets on a few occasions. I can say $53 is a premium for shipping and handling on that part, as is the $417 price tag. The part could be shipped via USPS in a medium or large flat rate box. Picking the part and packaging it costs something, as does markup, but $53 is pretty steep. Not paying you for your attempted labor is understandable, as it was ineffectual. Buying the bearing from an outside vendor would likely have cost around half what the dealer charged you (speculation).

Loaner machines aren't required. A loaner is usually a demo or out of the rental fleet, so it's not a cheap proposal to have a loaner on hand. This is better if they have a rental devision and have a machine available.

The work done on the machine is an abomination.
I had a disc chipper with a cover like that, but the difference was I was at least the third owner and bought the machine well used. Servicing it wasn't a priority as it was an ordeal to access the disc. Instead of selling that chipper, I sent it to the scrap yard. The chute should be able to be straightened up, if not, it should be replaced at no cost including the custom paint. They should also provide you with a can of touchup paint.*

The bent tab can be bent back, although the paint may chip. I would likely take the pin out, and use a large adjustable wrench or large pliers and bend it back straight. The end user shouldn't have to fix the dealership's faux paus.

The exposed shaft means either the dimensions on that bearing are different, or the disc has been moved forward by that amount.

The leaking fuel tank likely violates some California law, given how strict they are on everything else. The leak is a result from either a poor fit up, or poor part choice. The two chippers I have owned both leaked from the fuel tank, the stump grinders and other equipment doesn't leak. I don't know why it's acceptable to have leaking fuel tanks on a chipper.

*: I would clean the machine up before making videos. It will strengthen your case and present you and your equipment in a better light. It's hard to bitch about the paint being damaged where the chute doesn't line up when the machine looks rough. Now, I would take a picture of the fuel tank prior to cleaning it. The fuel tank part irritates me. If I ever buy a new chipper, that will be a sticking point made clear from the beginning, in writing. My last chipper was a Morbark 2400, holding near 50 gallons of fuel. I don't like partially filling tanks to keep them from leaking for obvious reasons.

Carl Rutherford
Top Notch Equipment Dealer Representative

I'd be livid if my equipment were treated like that! I don't even half ass repairs like that on equipment with 2000 hours on it! That's just bull shit! Morbark should be ashamed of this dealer and be getting on top of this problem yesterday!
The fuel cap, meh, I can go either way, the cover, no way in hell, and the chipper chute? Oh it's on now! That is a MAJOR safety violation! That is grounds for termination of the mechanic and a possible fine from OSHA for disabling safety equipment! Which is exactly what they have done!
If you don't have the nuts to call and tell them that with the threat of a phone call to OSHA, send me a PM with their phone number and I'll have it set to be in the shop tomorrow! This is utter bull shit Nick!

Andy call the # in my last post and tell them how you feel. Obviously they didn't call me back yet as this is not even on their radar, lets put it on their radar!!

They replied on facebook:

«We apologize for the inconveniences you are having with your chipper. Could you private message us and let us know who the dealer you've been working with is? We'd like to see if we can solve your issues. Thanks!»

OK just called Morbark at 989 866 2381 and tried to talk to John Shoemaker their president who surprise surprise wasn't available.

I think anybody who reads this thread should also call him and let him know how you feel about this.

OK, Nick, call this number and ask for Susanne Nobel, she is Jim Shoemakers secretary and isn't happy about you being unhappy! I didn't have all your contact info, but I made her aware of this thread, and she would love to hear from you so you can get this resolved!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love this.

ME TOO!!!!

Just got off the phone with Suzanne. She was nice. I'm sending the video directly to them (they couldn't see it on their end)

She did mention she got cussed out by someone about this. I know we are fired up about this- but it might be best to save the passion for the folks that will actually be making decisions about it.

She said I should expect a call back from the Service Manager (Dave) today or tomorrow about it.

I'll report back.

I do appreciate everyone's interest and participation in this. I get wrapped up in the day to day operation of my company and things like this are easy to just pass by and put off. The enthusiasm you guys have shown make it harder for me to let is slip to the way side

love
nick

Well I didn't swear at her, I was nothing but polite, to the point, but polite.
I'm glad to see you making headway with this now!

I have a feeling if I stopped being involved now, one of y'all would come here and strangle ME as a result!

love
nick

Basically what it boils down to is: I need the chipper.

When we got it back, the very next day is when I noticed the new issues. (Bent pin bracket, bent cover). I called the dealer. He said "bring it by". I just didn't have the time for it. He made a good point of "what do you expect me to do if I can't even see the situation." I couldn't afford to have the chipper out of commission for a few days while it gets figured out. When I asked why they couldn't come get it and leave me a loaner he said, "that doesn't happen. Dealerships around here don't do that." Basically expressing that maybe that's how it works in other parts of the country- but not here. So I ignored it. The machine chips fine- which is what we need.

But I can't leave it. It's tied up looking all jankity and it's getting worse.

love
nick

Back