Looking for a new lanyard

• Thread starter swampy036
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 5K
I think I understand it Jim! If you get a chance it would be cool to see a pic too. Thanks bro

Here ya go...

Attachments

• DSCN1287.jpg
    DSCN1287.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1288.jpg
    DSCN1288.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 116
If you're on spikes much, I would get some 11mm static line for a lanyard. It's light, it flips nice because of how stiff the static line is, you can use all kinds of friction hitches, or use mechanical gadgets. I'll switch between a gibbs and a grillion depending on how sappy the tree is. It's nice...

like frans
i have several lanyards
1/2 in 6' prussiktype
12' 1/2" steel core with rope grab
12' and 18' 3/4 in 3 braid spliced snap on 1 end of each, with a cats paw, ( i had an old fisherman work the splice in for me)
the 18' er is my every day lanyard, sometimes ya got to hook the 12 to the 18 to get around the tree, with 2 cats paws
i like the 3 braid size and weight, you can flip or roll the rope up the tree easily, the big ones stay on the weaver wide back saddle, and the small ones stay on the master 2 brendon sold me
the smaller lanyards hurt to grab after a long while i like the diameter of the larger ones better

Butch - you must not be happy that Wall Rope went out of business and isn't making Super Braid anymore. It was a nice firm double braid.

Hell yea, I'll never understand why they stopped making that awesome rope. Luckily, I have plenty stashed to make enough lanyards to last me a long time.

Anybody ever use anything like this? I've been intrigued by the idea - it's basically a really long double ended lanyard, or a short double ended flipline.

Attachments

• Motion lanyard 3.JPG
    Motion lanyard 3.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 81
30'-60'? I use something like that in smaller trees, but it's only got a friction hitch on one end and I call it a 'lifeline'. ;)

i have laynards setup on each harness, 11m rope with snaps, - easy to open - one is 12.11 inches "the fly" the other was gifted rope - 16 foot with a snap. I anchor then with a single over hand knot to a screw link no need to be rated, and use a 8 m cord, taunte line as a hitch. simple and easy for this climber.

Pretty ropes to match the harness. ONE THING is, the rope is VERY different then my climbing line and the snaps are also - SO I know which is which when in the tree.

It's not necessarily for SRT, but just for canopy movement. It's a design that Steve Sillett came up with for doing research in redwoods, in which it isn't practical to carry a 600 ft climbing line. It's just for movement within the canopy.

Ya know I have an issue with these figgin' tri-act biners. Don't get me wrong, if safety is their concern for making us use em' thats one thing, BUT in some cases I believe they can be MORE risky to use. Risky might be the wrong word, inconvenient is probably closer to the truth.

When a climber has to wear extra gloves in the cold the things are just plain difficult to open. The gloves are for warmth, NOT stopping abrasion or rope burn, which combined with the cold makes dexterity an issue.

As double acting snaps are approved for use on lanyards (ie. Petzl grillion) why wouldn't climbers use them on climbing lines too?

I would appreciate responses!

they use to issue the double actions to us. sometimes they were just as hard to open with gloves on as the triples. ive never heard of anyone having one come undone. usually there is pressure on the clip keeping it snug against the D. and even if one did happen to open for some reason the springs would close them right back up. i use the triples because i tie a paw in mine. its quicker to just slide the beaner threw the loop than it is to tie a bowline or whatnot threw the eye of the double

Back