looking for a better pad for climbers

I can deal with warm. I can no longer deal with twisted gaffs and working with the gaff shank pushing into my leg bones. Some weeks my legs are bruised. They are ALWAYS red. I have a bad tendency of tuning out the discomfort and saying "I need to remember to buy new......".

Im not a gear guru. Im a tautline kind of guy. Im never the guy with new and slick climbing gear. I wish I could change that, but its not in my nature.

Im subbing for another company Thursday and Friday and will be on them alllllllllllll day, both days. That should give me time to come up with an opinion.

It was like taking an elevator around the tree today! I could do River Dance in these pads in the tree! You cant imagine how pleased I was.

Tucker I like those straps, do they snug up as tightly as the traditional leather style? Do you have any other photos, I might try to replicate on my geckos.

jp:D

It seems most of the ad pics show the spurs on a Wesco style boot. How important is that? I usually climb in a hiking boot like this:

59858.145267_d.jpg

Caddie pads always...ALWAYS...were my first, last, and final choice. Until CF Geckos entered my life :). But if I am to wear a Buckingham, Klein, or Bashlin (best choice, IMO) , it will be with a caddie pad.

Those are great for trimming, but inadequate for wearing spurs.

Butch is righter than rain on this, chilluns. Listen to long experience :).

Butch and some other old guys like me, as well as a few younger old school stick in the muds :), came up under times when spurs where the way...listen to us, kids :D.

It seems most of the ad pics show the spurs on a Wesco style boot. How important is that? I usually climb in a hiking boot like this:

View attachment 47380

As long as the shank is stiff enough they can work.
I use Asolo hikers and they are good for about 5 hours of spur work for me. If I need longer or have multiple days of spur work, I switch to a set of 8" Danner's that have a real stiff shank and foot-bed. I for some reason have come to find the tall climbing and logging boots quite uncomfortable in summer now.

For me the Caddies work great, they never break down. If the foam wears glue in a new piece, which lasts for years.

But if you find the angle ones work better for your leg/foot geometry then have at em.

Really? The ones I had had no angle. Are they making them with an angle, now?

I also disliked how big and clunky they were.

Attachments

• cadallics.jpg
    cadallics.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 66
Just ordered these recommended by someone on Arborsite I think. Reviews are really good and they suppose to much cooler than others will know when I get them!
y3aqydyh.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367354609.461112.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367354609.461112.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 66
Really? The ones I had had no angle. Are they making them with an angle, now?

I also disliked how big and clunky they were.

I dunno about NOW, mine are elderly :). You know, I guess, that there are, or have been, several outfits that manufactured that style of pad over the last 4 decades...they didn't all make the same identical product. Mine are by Opsal, or something like that.

I never found them problematic, size-wise, in my work. Different strokes, and all that :D.

Just ordered these recommended by someone on Arborsite I think. Reviews are really good and they suppose to much cooler than others will know when I get them!

Hoffman is my go to boot supplier for well built but reasonable priced Caulk boots and Winter Pacs, so their Lineman boots should be a good bang for the buck also.

I tried the aluminum Geckos today. Tried on, not tried out. Is it a made for Sherrill brand only? Are footplates available for that brand? What's the small ring for, opposite the spur?

Back