Looking for a best guess on how hot a muffler gets

mrdiesel

TreeHouser
I have a couple of old 338s and a 026?which i thought i might have a tinker with. Im going to cut up the muffler a little and wondering if i can braze it back together. I dont have anything to measure how hot a muffler gets. The brazing rods i have a 450 deg c melting point. Anyone got a guess at what the temps might be?

I brazed a pipe on exhaust right off the manifold on a car and it failed. That was before I realized they get red hot.

Small 8 hp Briggs muffler on my log splitter gets red too.

On a 2 stroke I think you are fine. You have to have pieces you are brazing orange to have it flow. I never saw chain saw muffler glow.

Brass melts at around 16-1700 degrees F so it's unlikely a saw muffler would get that hot .That's bright orange ,300 degrees hotter than the point where tool steel becomes non magnetic.

More times than not it's more the technique rather than the braze that fails .You about need a lap joint of some kind because a butt joint will usually not hold up with vibration etc .

I've repaired several saw mufflers and brazed countless exhaust systems together with good success .Even an exhaust manifold on a diesel bull dozer .

A good brazed joint is somewhere around 40-50 thousand pounds tensil strength if done correctly .Depending of course on the alloy and method of joinery

Back in the day some almost 50 years ago before MIG welding we used to braze up headers for stock cars .Bend the sweeps up on a tubing bender and braze them together .

Well you know rough and stumble stock cars they got knocked off but other than that I don't recall any melting apart including the alkie burners .

Back