Lightweight ground saw?

woodslinger

TreeHouser
I'm looking for a lightweight ground saw for my dad. He works with me pretty often, and is very fond of his old homelight, with the 2 position handle (dual triggers). My echo cs450P gets a little heavy for him when cutting up limbs on the ground and it is overkill for cutting limbs to reduce weight so they can be dragged. He likes the weight a little better on my echo 355t, but doesn't like that he has no leverage when he is cutting slightly larger stems.

Does anyone know of a good lightweight saw for nipping limbs apart on the ground? Husky is out as I have no good dealers in my area. I have a good Stihl guy, who does a little with husky's but not much. I also have an echo dealer right down the street. I'm thinking maybe a stihl 150? or something close to that size?

Or an 021/210 stihl. Light enough, plenty of power, was my first saw and I still use it when ground bashing. Just make sure you get a conventional one, tool less chain pensioners are a PTA...

Look at the echo 400 PHO 10.1lbs . I hear it is suppose to run like my echo 3900.

Reason I cant say check the lighter echo 310 out it is a turd in the cut. Had one in and couldnt believe they sell those so under powered for 30cc.

Just comparing 450 11.2lbs pho and 355T 8lbs pho

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the look of that CS361. I'll have to swing buy the shops and compare that and the 200 rear handle. Thanks everyone for your input!

200 rear handle is absolutely the one. Do they even make it any more, though? Maybe that questionable 201 version, then.

Dont laugh at me, but I have a MS 250 with the easy start that has been a good saw. Its the saw I run the most.

My dad has bad shoulders and he can start it easy, hence the east start! It is light and has good power.

Not a pro saw, but still pretty good I guess. Lighter than my 850!

I have an MS 250 I inherited from my father in law...fine saw...it will do a lot.

Somehow it seems to have ended up at my son's house. :/:

MS250 is OK too, I sold mine to my neighbour, he needed a ground saw. The 361 is fine too, but starting to get heavier, 210, 250 are still light enough for all day work

200 rear handle is absolutely the one. Do they even make it any more, though? Maybe that questionable 210 version, then.

You're behind the times, Burnham ( Which is ok for a retired guy).
The fixed the problems with the 210, everybody I know who has one of the newer ones, love them.

I had to do a simulated rigging test for my ISA/ETW test last week.
The two guys judging me were pretty young.
In fact I have been rigging longer than either of those have been alive, so I gave them a bit of a hard time and made some fun as we progressed.
One thing I told them, "You tell me, I have 30 minutes to do the two rigging scenarios, and send me up a Husqvarna saw. Shit, it is going to take me longer than that just to get that POS started"!

I had a chance to use some new rear handled Zenoahs recently. They seemed too good to be true, light and quick cutting and very smooth operation. Zenoah has been making a very good professional grade chainsaw for a long time. The most vibration free saws I have experienced, and also possibly the easiest starting. They kind of fly under the radar compared to the two big names, maybe that's a good thing. It's not just the new models that are good, the old ones were as well, at least the couple...2...3.. that I am familiar with.

Another thing is that under that name, they don't put out any cheap crap to be sold to John consumer at a discount hardware store, like Stihl and Husky do. Why cheapen a good brand?

wood working boy, you have me very interested in these zenoahs saws....

I think the Stihl 200 series ( new, old??) would be the best if you go with Stihl. I wouldn't recommend a Stihl 193 though, in case you were looking at it, only because my husband uses one daily in a bucket and has to get a new chain every week.

201 for aerial stuff and small stuff on the ground, 576 for all else.

Back