Lice/nits....

TheTreeWiseMen

Redneck Limey
Great, just got a call from my kid's school, "Molly has lice, could you come and pick her up and take care of it?" So, bang goes the rest of my day. Got some nasty stuff from the CVS store to scrub her with, a special comb and some other shite to treat her car seat, soft toys etc, etc. And guess who's bed Molly slept in last night, and guess which side.....so gotta go strip all the beds too. Better get on with it....:|::|:

Been there, done that. Had to shave my 5 year old's head when he got them. Poor kid lost his nice curly blond locks forever. Funny thing about the lice treatment; they use Lindane, which has been taken off the market for use on tree borers, but can still be used to kill lice on your kids, go figure. :O: :?

What product are you using to that has Lindane in it!? I can't even buy that for use on cattle anymore.

Sorry about your luck. We went through that a time or two. I spent many hours picking nits under my big magnifying light.

OH!! I remember using what was called a 'robi-comb'. It was very effective, especially in the upcoming paranoid attacks. Every little itch meant they were back again...or so it felt. You just comb through the hair. A few false positives, but worked well. Here's a link to a page about it on epinions. I bought mine at the local CVS.

I feel for you, what a pain in the butt. One other thing I did was to put all the fury stuffed animals in a big plastic bag for about two weeks. yuck yuck yuck. My head itches just thinking about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got back from the pharmacy with my Robi Comb, thankyou Che. Will let you know how it goes.......right, off to declare war on the little buggers.

I managed to skate through parenthood without the kids getting lice. Lucky me and the school district has kids from all segments of society if you know what I mean.

Man, both my kids got lice last year. Started out at the dayhome my youngest went to. We treated them both kept them home for a few days and then bang!!!! they had them again. and again. and again. and again. Then one of the kids from the dayhome left and all of the sudden none of the kids had lice anymore. Its one thing to take the time and put in the effort to deal with it but when other people can't seem to take care of things from their end. That pisses me off.

WOW Brian..... No Comment ... LOL
Lice suck and the kids bring them home from school pretty much once a year. we down to the boys now so shaved heads go a long way.. The two youngest are home schooled TG. Only the teenager to worry about. Hats, head phones, yada yada... Hell sleepovers. It happens.

Side note... Katy (the Mrs.) has delt with lice a lot with her step daughter from previous marrage. Anyway. She recommends mayonaise in the hair with hot blow dryer after bath or shower to keep them at bay after treatment.. She has good luck with this. Well mayonaise... then shower ... then blow dry. Fine comb for the nits. Do this for a week after treatment of the chemical or until you see no signs of life left or nits.

they use Lindane, which has been taken off the market for use on tree borers, but can still be used to kill lice on your kids, go figure.

They 'explain' it all here....sounds like the same mumbo jumbo statistical smoke screen we've heard so often.

Use it if you need to, I guess....but I would put some effort into less toxic measures if/when possible. I've heard of people who will use these shampoos once a month, 'just to be sure'.

If my kid had it THIS bad, I would lindane them up in a heartbeat!! :\:

EDIT: WARNING, GRAPHIC YUCKY PICTURE NOT FUN TO VIEW WHILE EATING

content-lice-head_lice.jpg

Funny thing about the lice treatment; they use Lindane, which has been taken off the market for use on tree borers, but can still be used to kill lice on your kids, go figure. :O: :?
'taint a sin to get lice,it is to keep them .

When I was a teenager I spent 6 summers working for a man that would traverse 5 states with a portable sheep dipping tank .The dip contained Lindane .Needless to say no bug of any kind including mosquitos ever bothered me during those years .

I know to some that jobs sounds nasty,fact is it was .However during the early -mid 60's as a 15-17 year old I made more money per week than most grown men raising familys made in a month .One mans' poison is another mans' meat I've been told .;)

I think they took lindane and its' cousin chloridane off the market because it worked too good . Now I wonder back then if good old Ralph Nadar had his hooks in that .

Is that a human head with all those eggs on it Che? Yuck!!! :barf:

Gary

I think so, Gary. Highly doubtful anyone who frequents a forum like this is going to run into a case like that. At least I sure hope so. I read somewhere that each adult louse will lay ten eggs in a day. I don't remember the other factors but it wouldn't take long if it was completely ignored.

BTW....I'm assuming it's well known that CRABS and head lice are two different animals....whole other discussion entirely.

Al, I was using a can of 'screwworm' spray, only ingredient listed was Lindane....I told the Vet how I'd been treating the calf's problem (icky naval ill) and he said to treasure that can and take care of it cuz it was the last one I'd be seeing for quite a while. I still have it and will use it when need be. BUT....not on my kids.

I think they took lindane and its' cousin chloridane off the market because it worked too good . Now I wonder back then if good old Ralph Nadar had his hooks in that .

I have 3/4 gallon of chlordane sitting in my garage. I use it every few months, 1.5 oz. per gal. to spray around the outside of the house for bugs and ants. It should last me quite a while.

I think the deal with cloidane ,chlordane or however it's spelled was that the stuff was accumlative like copper sulfate .The residue could stay for years in the soil or so they say .The stuff does cut down on the bugs though .

It could be like lead in the paint type of thing . Leaded paint would hang in for years .The only type paint that will do that now is called vinyl siding .;)

Back