Leverage bar for rollers

Page

TreeHouser
So my chipper doesn't have the hydrolics to open or pinch the rollers. I want to cheaply modify it and was thinking of welding on a bar to the arm on the outside. if it's 3' long it might give me the leverage I need to pinch the rollers and possibly open them at least a little for bigger stuff. does this sound stupid? is there something horribly dangerous about this I'm not thinking of?

We do it with my buddies Morbark all the time. Although nothing attached. I have thought about using a bar that is loosely run through an eye of sorts and connected by a u-joint type of connection to the chipper. Mind you it needs to be quick connect. The problem I see is only being on one side- possible bearing damage. T should work though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
no pics yet, it's an 85 morbark, 12 inch. the top roller is spring loaded so it's always pinching down as much as the springs have tension. with a bar on the outside arm I think I can lift the roller enough for bigger logs so I can avoid having to cut an angle on the end of the log.

Yeah, wow man.

Again, I wouldn't weld anything onto the chipper. Light pressure has worked for him. Be very aware that if a piece gets hung up, that bar you plan on using will break your jaw or arm or whatever is closest. Do you have upward movement on that chippers feed wheels? If so, plumbing some lines for down pressure is easy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow indeed. this is why I'm asking. I did think about the jaw breaking aspect of this idea. I need to draw a pic or something because when your looking at my chipper it doesn't seem like a bad Idea. the top roller is only connected on one side. on the outside of the chipper is the arm. it doesn't seem like it would be in my way or near my face. I don't know much about hydrolics. how hard would it be to add another line and a piston?

Back