Lanyard and rope splicing question

• Thread starter fallguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 4K
F

fallguy

I am going to make a couple double ended lanyards. I am looking for some input as to what rope you prefer. I can do 3 strand splices but I was thinkning of exspanding my horizons and try some of the braided type rope. What would be a good rope to start with. Also what books or videos would you recomend for a newbie.

After 3 strand, My fave rope for beginners to make a lanyards out of is 16 strand rope. I think the splice is more straight forward than the double braid splices which require a bit of meticulous measuring.

If you don't mind the measuring, a piece of 11mm Blaze, tachyon, poison ivy, etc will make a smoother lanyard than 16 strand.

I'm interested to see what other people think.

love
nick

ive decided i hate 16 strand for splicing:dur: very hard for me to do the bypass part.

seems like a good thread to ask, if not delete me. i did a 16 strand flipline the other day and thought i had every thing milked back into place before i tapered the overlap. i was wrong and marked, tapered and milked back and i have a 6 inch gap instead of an overlap. i think i have to trash it but may as well ask. anyone?

There is a way to fix it. You have to pull the core and cover tail out again and just move everything down 6"-10" and do it over. You have to make sure that the original 10 strands you pulled get pulled again to make the taper again.

Alternatively you could insert another 6" piece of core into the rope and hope it matches up.

Just cut it off.

love
nick

Alternatively you could insert another 6" piece of core into the rope and hope it matches up.
love
nick

i could just insert a 10 strand piece in to fix it? i was afraid it would compromise the splice to not have the over lap? so its just for "core support" purposes?

Yeah, if you're down for trying it, you could put in the 10 strander. Actually, it'd be a 6 strand piece. Start with a piece of cover and pull ten strands, leaving 6 woven together. The strength and security of this splice comes from the tight buried part up near the eye.

If you're really going to try it, I'd probably pull the tip of each tail out, and do the crossover thing twice...once for the core tail and once for the crossover tail.

This would be very cool if it worked!

love
nick

i've been making mine by taking the core out and using the cover as the core but only taking out 8 strands instead of 10. then lockstitching the end by folding it over then heat shrink that and im done works well. just take double the amount of rope though.

Wagnaw, you know for such a simply construction rope, it requires quite a bit of precision to splice properly. Every time I do it, I feel like I just lucked out on the crossover. There are tons of variables to get it very smooth.

I hate when you are way up by your TIP and you can feel the bump as you descend. Drives me NUTS.

I'd be a fan or eradicating 1/2" 16 strand and replacing it with a double braid. That gives the BEST splices.

love
nick

My main climbing line has a bump, i keep meaning to have a poke and a pull and sort it out. its only right at the top that i notice it so it's rarely a problem.

I always try to begin the taper rapidly if that makes any sense.

for my eye eye cords i measured it all and mark out teh taper. pity i seem to have mis placed the sheet of paper.

Jamie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. I was out of town on vaction with the Mrs. our 25th anniversery.

Wagnaw, you know for such a simply construction rope, it requires quite a bit of precision to splice properly. Every time I do it, I feel like I just lucked out on the crossover. There are tons of variables to get it very smooth.

I hate when you are way up by your TIP and you can feel the bump as you descend. Drives me NUTS.

I'd be a fan or eradicating 1/2" 16 strand and replacing it with a double braid. That gives the BEST splices.

love
nick

You gonna start climbing on 1/2" Stable braid!??? :lol: I bet the weight issue is why no one really does that. But then again... I always used to climb on safety blue.

Those are clear instructions. When I started, I had a crappy mimographed copy that was hard to read.

You gonna start climbing on 1/2" Stable braid!??? :lol: I bet the weight issue is why no one really does that. But then again... I always used to climb on safety blue.

You goose! I was thinking more along the lines of 1/2" Blaze, Tachyon, or Velocity for those folks that wants a smooth splice, but don't want to leave the comfort of the 1/2" lines. That said...I've climbed on 9/16 stable braid before! :|:

Will said:

Will, I checked out those directions right when they posted them maybe a year or two ago. I didn't follow them closely, but I just saw that they were the same as all the other 16 strand splices. Looking again more closely, I see that there is something screwy happening at the beginning of Step 6 that I can't quite understand. I can see WHAT they are doing, but I can't see WHY they are going through the rope in that perpendicular manner.

If I were you trying to splice 16 strand, I'd stick with Samson's directions, unless you were splicing the Atlantic Braids stuff in which case ANSI suggests you should stick with those directions you just posted.

love
nick

Back