Lantern collections?

Those original table lamps had a milk glass globe as a well as other types .The Amish of course didn't use the fancy ones .There are duplicates if you can find one .I have an original but it's broken and an original goes for several hundred dollars if by chance you can even find one . BTW I am not a collector of lamps. chainsaws yes but not house hold stuff .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Al that lamp is cool. I bet it works!

I put together a list Stig

During the time period they produced a lot more light than a kerosene lamp plus were probably safer .A tipped over kerosene lamp could burn a house down .These if they get knocked over usually just breaks the mantles ,they don't leak .Coleman made a lot of models besides the table lamps I have ,some rather costly considering the time period .
As far as the mantle type lights it was nothing new because the gas lighting used mantles also .The principle of the gasoline types is it just gasifies the gasoline before it goes to the mantles .In essence it's not much difference than what's used on infrared kerosene and gas or propane space heaters .

The subject of gas lights can be interesting .I had a yard light years ago when I lived in town that cost me a dollar a month from the gas company .Problem was it kept breaking the mantles .I changed it over to electric .
I bought a large computer desk from an Amish man .His place of business had propane gas lighting .They have strikers like a Zippo lighter .Funny part was when I first came into to his shop his wife was yacking away on a cell phone .Seemed odd to me .

I've seen them with gas powered weedwhips. Not sure exactly how the technological barrier gets placed, but I think they try to avoid things that help them avoid each other.

scored a 20's era, Coleman. I'll post pics tomorrow. I pressure tested it after shift tonight,,, seems to hold. Old school quick light, which I hear can be quite the fireball for the ill-advised. LOL

Does anyone have old carbide-fueled stuff?

The table lamps, usually chrome or nickel plated did not have glass around them .They were not designed to be in the wind like the camp lanterns .The first one of those I ever saw was camping with my parents at 8 or 9 years old .I noticed the difference right away .Now since I mentioned the propane or natural gas lights I wonder if those mantles might fit a Coleman table lamp because a camp light mantle is too small .

No carbide lamps, but have run across acetylene generators for houses. Usually placed in a part of the yard you can afford to have explode from time to time.

The table lamps, usually chrome or nickel plated did not have glass around them .They were not designed to be in the wind like the camp lanterns .The first one of those I ever saw was camping with my parents at 8 or 9 years old .I noticed the difference right away .Now since I mentioned the propane or natural gas lights I wonder if those mantles might fit a Coleman table lamp because a camp light mantle is too small .
check out "old coleman parts " website. They might have the mantles you are looking for

Lantern is a Coleman Quicklite 1920-1924 I think. Mica globe. The wierd generator you hold matches to heat. No pump,... used external pump which I don't have. Air compressor makes quick work though. Several of my carbide lamps. One was what I used in the wilderness program I worked for in the 90's. Hard to find carbide locally as the gas places do sell to the public. Found it online but it is pricey and hard to ship. I would like a source for carbide. any suggestions?
IMG_2177.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2175.jpg IMG_2176.jpg

That mica-globed lantern is cool! I have a few mica lampshades made of several overlapping layers so you don't get blinded.
IMG-3479.jpg
IMG-3480.jpg

We would get our carbide at an old style farm and home hardware / dry goods store before heading to cave in W Va. They are no longer in business, and I haven't even held a carbide lantern in some 40 years!

You probably saw Walmart has 1 lb./ free shipping for $30.
30 bucksis steep got to be a cheaper source. The program I worked for would buy a 100lb for like 40 bucks if I remember

That mica-globed lantern is cool! I have a few mica lampshades made of several overlapping layers so you don't get blinded.
View attachment 113291
View attachment 113292

We would get our carbide at an old style farm and home hardware / dry goods store before heading to cave in W Va. They are no longer in business, and I haven't even held a carbide lantern in some 40 years!
that shade is wild looking. You make it?

Calcium carbide at one time was inexpensive .Now there are only a few world wide who control the sale of acetylene gas and the price they get reflects that fact .I can only assume they also control calcium carbide .

I remember the union carbide plant in Texas blew up a few years ago and the price and availability of acetylene went thru the roof

Slightly off topic maybe , used to go to auctions in Brattleboro Vermont (historic train corridor along the Connecticut River) ... once every year or so one or two "Brakemen's Lanterns" would go on the block. Collectible for sure , Kerosene I'd guess , four sided with beautiful thick red glass lenses

There is a byproduct to making acetylene and it costs a lot to deal with. Haven't filled a torch tank in years, but it was $140. :O Stands to reason that carbide would be harder to get also.

whats the byproduct? to lazy to dr google it

that shade is wild looking. You make it?

Nope, didn't make them. It was one of six lampshades off a stainless steel hoop fixture that hung in the entry foyer of a large old 1920s hotel.A friend was hired to do the demolition. Scrapped the stainless uprights and chains that hung it from the ceiling, but still have the hoop. Not sure what I'll use it for yet. All the lampshades have been repurposed for other lamps.

Back