Kids climbing equipment

I've had good luck with New Tribe.

I took 6 of my cousins (4-16yo) in it without any scares or complaints. The 7 year olds and up went up a goodly 40' or so. A couple did some limb walking.

Its funny this thread got bumped, I put Haley and her friends in my tree today. I used the GRCS to crank them up a little ways up. We have the Petzl kids saddle and I don't think it is the most comfortable for hanging.

just add some balloons

I wanna get a kids saddle for Mandi's little brothers. The oldest is Josh, who is 8. I think he'd love to climb around. I just debating whether to get a rock or tree harness. I just can't find any rock harnesses with strong side attachment points.

Quick question: How does this saddle cinch up? Is there a waist belt buckle I'm not seeing?

sad516_01_500.gif

Yep MB.

Wagnaw, you're debating if you should get a tree or rock harness to take an 8 year old climbing? Is he going to be climbing rock? If not I think the side D's are handy for climbing trees/structures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well yah now that I've thunk about it a bit the side D's sure as hell come in handy for me. I wonder what the thought is not including them on the kids harness?

they figure kids are not working i guess

Attachments

• newtribe 001.jpg
    newtribe 001.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5
  • newtribe 002.jpg
    newtribe 002.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 4
I have no idea why New Tribe doesn't put side d's on the kid's harness, or why the belt on it isn't adjustable. Regardless though, everybody I've ever talked to has given rave reviews. I think it probably could be better, but it seems to be pretty good as it is. I'm getting one for my son when he's a bit older. Right now he'd just drool all over it. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So a guy could probably send it to them if it seems to become a nescessity? We should be fine for a few years atleast. My kiddo's only 31/2, some low dangling to start, let her get a feel. And she's really, really stoked on it. Asked me all about the colors it was and whether or not it's a girls or a boys saddle, ya know the important stuff.:)

Sounds like she's well versed on the important stuff and just wants to make sure you order the right saddle, Justin. :D

Perhaps lack of side d's on kids harnesses stems from the differences in the ways rec climbers climb compared to how work climbers climb. Rec climbers are far less dependent on side d's than are work climbers.

love
nick

Heck, brothers, even the adult version of the New Tribe rec saddle doesn't have side D's. It's the rec climber ethos...I guess.

i dont think they know what their missing, some times its just nice to flip in

But the horror of it all...those nasty D's disrupt a tree huggers good night's sleep in their little treeboat hammock, don't cha know...;)

Back