Kid's Birthdays

Brian, not feeling that you belong anywhere can be a great thing...if you can turn it into a sense of wide personal freedom. Years ago I read a true story about a very wise and beloved man in India, whose followers had to always keep an eye on him, for fear that he would just go wandering off in no particular direction, as he had done many times before. Apparently, he also felt no obligation to lead them, another part of his not belonging.

You seem like a very smart person :)

Back to the thread.....
I used to have an extremely wealthy client in the states, a young couple that had purchased over sixty pieces of my furniture when I had a shop in California. I often would go visit them with my son, who was the same age as their son. When my boy would go into their son's large room, I'd see his eyes enlarge to about twice their normal size, looking about at the incredible array of toys, books, and you name it. When we left their gorgeous home, the woman there would always reach up into the shelf of the closet and bring out a nicely wrapped little gift to give him. They were old money, nice people who knew the score. I sensed that they had prepared for visits such as ours. I observed that the small gift he took home, seemed to erase any jealousy or longing for what he had observed and played with, while visiting his rich friend. I loved that little gesture, I think it made everyone feel good and thankful for what they have.

The dilemma about too little or two much, it's part of being a thoughtful parent, and trying to decide what is best for our children...not an easy chore.

My Dad started a tradition of giving somebody else a gift on his birthday. Sort of like, "Hey, I'm grateful to have been born !"
I always thought that was cool.
Jay, what a cool post.

As long as Haley knows that her parents love her, and that she is an important and valued member of the family, everything will be OK.

Now I just went through this too at Julia's birthday at the beginning of the month. What a production it became. I was amazed at how well she handled the whole thing though. For four she was amazingly gracious and thankful for the gifts she received, I guess we'll see what next year brings. I to think 'gift bags' are ridiculous and have somehow been cleverly marketed into existence. Ours just had some inexpensive dollar store fairy stuff in them as that was the theme of the party so all the little girls had a tierra, wand and crown. Undoubtedly some parent somewhere has referred to us as cheapskates, my dignity and self worth will survive though.

We have either gotten our daughter nothing or basic nescessities for all of her ocassions up until this birthday when we splurged on a dvd and a dress-up dress, my wife wouldn't let me buy a remote control car for me err I mean Julia yet. Both my wife and I coming from split families leaves two sets of grandparents on each side, the gifts get a little overwhelming even for me.

Thanks for the input folks, just lurking and getting ideas.
When I was a kid the regular thing was a little goody bag for guests. A few candies and a couple trinkets like a water squirting ring or colored pencils or something.

I hired a face painter for my niece's bday a couple years ago, that was about $125 well wasted.
My plan for Bub when he is old enough to understand, will be a day with daddy (and momy too) doing whatever he wants. Hopefully a hike, play some soccer, read some books, go to a movie, greasy take out lunch, I dunno, just hanging out is cool.

My kids get to choose whatever they want for dinner. No bars hold. We make it at home.
They also tell me what kind of cake they want. If it's do-able at home, we do it. Together.
Any TRADITION will be cherished by kids...
even if its sausages & store-bought Jamaican spice cake, like mine.

Back