Keep folks out of your cutting zone

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I saw this over at the TreeBuzz. Most of it is just regular falling, nothing remarkable...but, watch at the 6 minute mark.

I did not realize a tree could take such a big hop sideways...neither, apparently, did the observer. It was almost a very bad day.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtIdgYB8nb0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtIdgYB8nb0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here is the thread link:

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showf...=108938&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post108938

A big hop like that is usually due to a curve or bow in the trunk. If the tree lands with a side load it can bounce to the opposite side.

I think it was because of the uneven ground he fell the piece onto. That saw is leaned out way too much, it sounds like a mosquito.

I've seen it happen many times. Sweep in the trunk and uneven ground can rock a tree sideways. In combination...... look out! And it goes to show that standing off to the side of a falling tree isn't always a safe place to be.

Good thing that guy was watching.

like in that video, often its not the tree your cutting but another tree gets knocked down a different direction thatll git ya.

Seems to me the cutter stayed way too long at the stump too.

I've often thought about putting a butt hitch on the stump and take some wraps to keep that from happening. I had the butt of Pine hit the side of a brick apartment building, I still can't beleive it didn't knock a hole in the side of the brick wall.

I've often thought about putting a butt hitch on the stump and take some wraps to keep that from happening. I had the butt of Pine hit the side of a brick apartment building, I still can't beleive it didn't knock a hole in the side of the brick wall.

Cut them at the ground and they are less likely to land and bounce back as opposed to cutting them at waist height.

I'm not so sure I buy that Andrew. Why?

I was using the assumption when he said pine next to a wall we were not talking about a big PNW Pine.

I hope I can translate my thoughts here:

Typically, If you cut down a full tree at the ground, the bows will hit the ground way before the trunk is at a 45 degree angle to the ground, crushing the bottom bows, or driving the butt back into the ground if it bounces back on the bows.

If you cut a tree at breast hieght, the bows wll not meet the ground until the trunk is past 45 degree's or so. The bows will not get crushed enuff to prevent a bounce back, and because of the height of the cut it will bounce straight back onto the horizontal plane.

Flawed thinking???:|:

Flawed thinking? Ya think MB?? I was taught that long ago and it has always stuck with me.

Keep in mind I am talking about a tree full of bows, not limbed up.

The only bounce backs I have ever had were cutting above the waist on a butt cut.

45 degrees off the back is really the best escape/"safe" zone if you can.

Im not a tree cuttah by any means, but heres my safety observations of the groundie.

Never heard of chain shot. (minor quibble, but hey)

Snuck up on the operator to retreve the hammer from the brush.

He was EATING!!(?) Maybe just biting his nails in anticipation of the coming danger?

Everything else has been mentioned, How did I do?

Back