Junk Culture

cool Nick. apparently it was filled with lots of urban legend stories...

as for the popper toy thingie, :) I bought one of them for my nephew a few years back, my sister and brother in law still cuss me out becaue of it! :D

When I was a kid my grandma bought the rolly-music chime push toys for me and 2 sisters. I remember racing around the kitchen table with my sisters and wondering why it was driving her nuts!

One of those flashlights that you crank to charge would make a good present.

Che, I did a bid yesterday for a seasoned citizen in Modesto who grew up next to Daniel Whitmore who started the town where I live. This Whitmore guy had a pretty big house and used to hire the seasoned citizen's older brother to wash the windows once a week. Well when the brother went into the service his little brother inherited the job and he used to do 20 windows or so on a two story house for a dollar. Plus he had to walk around with Mr. Whitmore and inspect all the windows to make sure they were all clean and no streaks. Then he would hand over the dollar like it was a huge amount of money. He once complained to his mother about his meager pay for doing the windows and her response was "if you were a good neighbor, you'd do 'em for nothing".

good toy nick, i had one as a kid a trevin got one from a friend for his b-day. he loves it

Che, I did a bid yesterday for a seasoned citizen in Modesto who grew up next to Daniel Whitmore who started the town where I live. This Whitmore guy had a pretty big house and used to hire the seasoned citizen's older brother to wash the windows once a week. Well when the brother went into the service his little brother inherited the job and he used to do 20 windows or so on a two story house for a dollar. Plus he had to walk around with Mr. Whitmore and inspect all the windows to make sure they were all clean and no streaks. Then he would hand over the dollar like it was a huge amount of money. He once complained to his mother about his meager pay for doing the windows and her response was "if you were a good neighbor, you'd do 'em for nothing".

Ha! That sounds like a good mom thing to say! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was a kid we played with garbage.

For some reason that made me think of Raising Arizona:

An' when they was no meat we ate fowl. An'

when they was no fowl we ate crawdad. An' when they

was no crawdad to be foun', we ate San'.

completely unrelated:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/714-Ioa4XQw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/714-Ioa4XQw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like this one. Its on topic too.

Homer: You know, my kids think you're the greatest. And thanks to your gloomy music, they've finally stopped dreaming of a future I can't possibly provide.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xAz8tTYPBpM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xAz8tTYPBpM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just remember how much more awesome your kid's rope swing can be!! Being second generation, I remember having rope swing that was hung up higher than the house. I dunno... I thought it was cool.

cool Nick. apparently it was filled with lots of urban legend stories...

as for the popper toy thingie, :) I bought one of them for my nephew a few years back, my sister and brother in law still cuss me out becaue of it! :D

It is my responsibility as an uncle to use my neice as an opportunity to annoy my brother whenever possible!!! 8)

I'm sure this one won't come back to me later....:O

The responses to this thread have been so cool to read. Each one had me thinking.
Kids gotta 'try stuff on'... it's how they learn. When my eldest son was spending every spare dollar on Beanie Babies and talking about how much money they were going to be worth some day, I tried my best to be true to my own feelings without hurting his. "My favorite Beanie is the one your sister drags around the house with the dried chocolate pudding on its mug. Toys should be played with. That's what makes them valuable." >>> along with something positive, "I love how there's so many bright colors & they're incredibly soft !"
My son is a huge collector of 'things' to this day. It's just his gig. He enjoys it. He is a bit chagrinned over the drop in the Beanie market, but who cares ? No harm, no foul, & he learned a lesson.
Stay true to yourself, Darin. Your kid(s) will see more of your values through how you live than ever in just what you say.

Don't forget the good times to be had in the bathtub.

Attachments

• kids 013 (Small).jpg
    kids 013 (Small).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 39
I have no problem with their fascination with archetypal figures like Batman and Cinderella, respectively.

And the tv they watch has no corporate sponsorship.

As long as they have lots of mommy and daddy time at the park, with play-dough, and crayons I think they will be fine.

Back