Jerry B's Old Growth DVD

Thanks for posting that, Matt. You guys were having a good time.

I made a video about yarder logging you might enjoy. Featuring the Washington model 88. Logging virgin second-growth redwood on the Mendocino Coast

If you don't know much about yarder logging, and the machines doing it, you will after watching that. About 90 min.

The machine featured in the video I worked under for 2 seasons, and under two different loggers.

PM your address Matt, I'll send you one.
Wow that would be huge Jer, I haven’t worked under a harder yet. Just shovel logging ground and skidder territory. I’ve been able to learn a lot under Greg Turcott. I’m actually going to have a beer here with him in a second. I’d love to pay ya or something like that for the video. I’ll shoot over an address soon. It’s funny at the end of that Podcast David driver jumped on and we got to talk.

I sure did!
Yarder logging is not a thing in Denmark, but at the end of that video, I was an expert.

It should have always been yarder logging.

Cat logging the slopes in this region gave logging a black eye. Rightfully so. Cutting roads indiscriminently across the loose slopes. Erosion filling rivers. Between 1940 and latter 1970s Cat logging in the redwood region laid ruin.

Logged with yarders only the integrity of the slopes in this region today, and the well being of its watersheds and fisheries would not be the issues they are. It's all about erosion .

Yarder Logging Forever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jer is the man!

Been an inspiration to me since I first picked up Fundamentals from Bailey's back in the '90s.

Very genuine and humble man, but a true Legend! Don't even try to deny it Jer!

Since you're too humble to toot your own horn Jer, there's plenty of us around here who will gladly do it for you, my friend!

BTW, any new upcoming projects in the works from Beranek Productions?

Today Terri and I delivered books to the Humboldt Redwoods gift shop, up on the Avenue of the Giants. Nice ride up and back, but the price of gas was a major distraction.

On the way back we stopped and talked to Wes Burns. He was milling (Mighty-mite Mill) some Douglas fir for his cousin.

He lost his voice. 90%. can barely even whisper. Doc checked him out and found a tumor down under his liver. They don't know if the two maladies are connected, but he's getting operated on the 12th. So we'll see what happens soon enough. Cross you fingers.

No new projects, Chris. Though I'm still busy working on the flora of northwestern California. Near 5,000 pages, all text, and counting.

It's a great time to be alive.

Oh man, sorry to hear about Wes, we all wish him the best! Please keep us posted on his surgery.

That must be quite the job trying to catalog all that flora, I can't imagine taking on that much of a project.

Wes Burns- Heal up you hard working animal!

A natural born climber if I remember you saying so Jer? Took right to it when you first showed him. Was Wes already in his 30's at that time?

That was in 1972 or 73. I forgot exactly.

But I do remember I gave Wes a set of Buckingham spurs and a ny-buck leg saddle.

In a matter of hours he had mastered the basic climbing knots, and the flip-line and spurs. First tree, 200 foot old-growth redwood in his back yard. The second tree, very next day, was over 300 feet. Made it by traverse.

Bold, fearless, confident. A natural. That's Wes. I told him, "you're on your own now, Wes."

Back