Weird bucks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah this spot I’m in the zoos are almost breaking before they hit the ground. It’s wild I didnt thing green trees really do that, curious if it’s because how fast the trees in this spot grew. Didn’t develop any rigidity or strength. For the ground I’ve been in my bullbuck is super impressed with how much Katelyn and I can save out stuff. Bad part about that is they want us to go to Oregon once I’m done to cut some big wood. I hate Oregon lol. I want to stay in the coast. Took a big Chunk of that big wood today, that 50 saved my butt and sped everything up. Even has a bucker today lol, I’d take the butt log and he would do the rest while I faced other trees up. Split scale and I think we bought got 20 bushel.

Yeah this spot I’m in the zoos are almost breaking before they hit the ground. It’s wild I didnt thing green trees really do that, curious if it’s because how fast the trees in this spot grew. Didn’t develop any rigidity or strength. For the ground I’ve been in my bullbuck is super impressed with how much Katelyn and I can save out stuff. Bad part about that is they want us to go to Oregon once I’m done to cut some big wood. I hate Oregon lol. I want to stay in the coast. Took a big Chunk of that big wood today, that 50 saved my butt and sped everything up. Even has a bucker today lol, I’d take the butt log and he would do the rest while I faced other trees up. Split scale and I think we bought got 20 bushel.
Haha the tops, not zoo. I hate my spell check… I sound illiterate 😂

You're flat out of my league Matt! There's crap for timber sales here in AZ, can't even think about logging. My wife and I are trying to build a house and with virtually no timber being harvested, it's impossible to get a load of logs. So we cut off the Forest Service fuel wood permits, which means we have a DBH size cap of 12-18 inches, depending on ranger district, it all has to be dead, etc.

Worst part is, it's not like we don't have a ton of big trees that need to go. But someone will whine and cry and sue if the FS sells a unit of pulp.

Anywho, enough of my grumbling, keep up the good work, I'm enjoying every bit I can by proxy!

That was real sweet, Matt. Though, I do believe I heard a bit of a crunch.

Next thing you know you'll be on the flats falling layout trees. With a Cat, a Bucker and a loader at your command.

Be careful, and keep posting those vids.

Thank you for sharing, Matt and Katelyn.
Yes you did, I had two little draws that I thought I could maybe save it out. Below this was no ground and no limb or sawdust touch creek. Picked the longest shots and hoped for the best. I’m ecstatic to have the nod from you. We will, we’re in love. Today was good but we went so hard that today myself and Dustin were way too tired. We each probably made about 20 boards.

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
Fine thread, fo sho.

The residual small trees, will they survive the logging and so what you are doing, it is a thinning rather than a clearcut?

Yea all the residual will still be fine as long as I don’t strip them up, there is still so much growth on this creek. From the landings you can’t even tell we have cut. There is some fine second growth still that hasn’t been marked at all and won’t be.

So we have a sikorisky 61 flying the majority of the wood. The longest log they can handle if it’s a second buck is 40/22 and maybe a 40/23 the biggest diameter in a short log is a 34/20 which is 1,000 board feet. We have been bucking mainly for that but they have contracted a company that uses chinooks for the big wood. That should be here after that lil bird is done. The chinooks max lift is 30,000 lbs if I remember right. Max log at a preferred length is a 20/52. Which is just about 29,000 pounds.

Back