Old school!

You all think you'd have made a career of treework without modern gear? That was a hard life getting stuff done. Logging's hard work anyway, but when your tool is a misery whip, and you're gonna be running it all day... Doing it once? Sure. You'd get home, and think "Man, I really did a lot of work today. I don't want to do that ever again", but to be told you have to do it for the next 5 days after that, and every six days for the rest of your life...

Kind of hard speculating I guess. Newer people look back, and think "I'd never do that", but you did, and it was ok cause that's the way it was done. There's probably people now running harvesters thinking "I'd never spend my day beating myself up with a chainsaw" :^D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am amazed at the power of the old machines, the steam donkeys, and the yarding operations. Huge wood just being pulled along like it was nothing,

Growing up i heard some stories,
then heritage as getting more involved with tree work
"Tough as a RailRoad Spike,
and twice as hard"
was the common quote
Made this years ago for presentation , more axe than saw tho, but same spirit!
olds_cool.jpg

Urgency to perform and trust in brothers is evident in film!
Even in motorized saws, it was awhile until a real 1 man chainsaw
olde chainsaw on wheels-Marshall Trover.jpg

Attachments

• olde 2 man saw Bernds.jpg
    olde 2 man saw Bernds.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • olde Bow Saw with spike-Darrin.jpg
    olde Bow Saw with spike-Darrin.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2
  • olde saw Nico Henkens.jpg
    olde saw Nico Henkens.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3
  • olde saw reciprocating Nico Henkens.jpg
    olde saw reciprocating Nico Henkens.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • olde saw-Karl-Arne Andersson (Custom).jpg
    olde saw-Karl-Arne Andersson (Custom).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What's easier, an axe or a crosscut? What I'm getting to, is how was the face made? Was the horizontal sawed, and the angle axed, or was the whole thing axed, with only a sawn backcut?

i always imagine the amount of trust and timing 2 lone bulls had to exhibit with 2man cross-cut sawing.
>>Each not to let the other down
>>And also, showing again as in motors, the best machine part is nothing, perhaps even worser, w/o proper timing!!
Also, making careful love to the saw with file to perfection as a machined part, as the impossible was even more sore-ly harder otherwise on each freakin'stroke!

Back