I've had it! I'm making my Own Climbing Harness!

Well done man. I've always deeply admired guys like you, Jerry B. and PC Tree who simply invent the right deal they need to suit their particular setup. Good job. I'm jealous.

Props from this corner. The first one may not meet your expectations, but you'll get it right after a few tries, I bet.
:thumbup:

Hell yeah! Great job! Just do us all a very small favor ... stridently reisist the temptation to make one for someone else! They will ask!

Padding? How about metal studs on the inside to keep it from sliding around so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
so, i went outside this evening and took some pics of the project in action as it were. i hope they aren't too confusing. so far its surprisingly comfy without padding. the original plan was to cut up a ridge rest and use that, but it seems to be too bulky. especially between the legs. now I'm thinking neoprene. there are some wetsuit shops here in town that may have some pieces for me. might be hot and sweaty, but I'll just have to try it and see. the dee rings are a little low but i plan on cutting another set of holes for the webbing in front of them to hold them in a better position. still haven't put the dees thru their paces yet, one step at a time. the double bridge is interesting. i like that it moves the ends of the waist bridge to the outside, almost to the dees. much more freedom in the legs, and very stable in the sitting position. rolling onto my side is also nice as the leg bridge equalizes the pressure between both legs, and because the waist bridge is attached on the outside of the hip it doesn't fold or twist the waist belt. as far as loaning one out... there would have to be a pretty watertight waiver to go with it. at this point, even using it at work for myself is a debatable proposition. we shall see. jaime
IMGP0497.jpg IMGP0503.jpg IMGP0506.jpg IMGP0514.jpg IMGP0513.jpg IMGP0521.jpg IMGP0516.jpg IMGP0508.jpg IMGP0515.jpg

nice work, but there's a detail which scares me. Your green bridge holds in place just by two simple knots beyond the rings. I'm afraid in a case of shock loading, the knot will be pulled throw the ring.
I'm shivering, thinking of that.

nice work! looks like a good combination of all the modern harnesses...... Marc, he stated earlier the bridge is just temp.

the bridge is definitely temporary while i fiddle and try to find the right length. i plan on splicing a permanent bridge before i do any real climbing on it. jaime

took the saddle for a ride today. did a small magnolia prune in it. very comfy so far. definitely feels different with so much mobility. more testing needed. im waiting on westmarine to get my stainless webbing adjusters, ill get some rope for the bridges at the same time. oh yeah, i got some 10mm neoprene for padding. definitely cushy, but heavy and warm. im thinking maybe an upholstery shop could make me some lighter weight pads down the road. i have to say , im pretty pleased with how its turning out so far. cheers. jaime

Back