I've had it! I'm making my Own Climbing Harness!

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
i've climbed on the weaver leg strap old school, the butterfly, the tree flex, the tree motion, and now the nikosi. i like parts of them all, but none fit me right without some modifications. sooo... i'm going to build my own from the ground up. i've already got a prototype that ive been fooling around with all weekend. still some things to figure out (safety is at the top of the list), not sure where to go after that. ill post some pics if y'all are interested, just don't steal my ideas;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
these are the cardboard mock-ups (plus their admirer), and a shot of the leather blanks. i chose leather because its durable, easy to work with, and i cant find that rubberized belting material that handsaw scabbards and the treemotion are made of. IMGP0485.jpg IMGP0487.jpg IMGP0488.jpg IMGP0490.jpg

Interesting. I hope it works out. Do you have use of an industrial sewing machine?

Interesting. I hope it works out. Do you have use of an industrial sewing machine?

i dont yet. there is a sail maker here in town ill hit up. so far im trying to design with a minimum of sewing.
I hear cat fur has excellent insulating properties. It also wicks away moisture and is quite soft.
i need him for design advice;)

I hear cat sinew makes excellent stitching, too. :/:

Just sayin'.

Ger's book shows two nicely crafted custom saddles.... I have always wanted one...should fit perfect without annoying things like extra material for the leg straps which conflict with my Dees....and too much material for the bridge putting the center point too high ....yep custom is the way to go

But every body is different. I can't wait to see how this is gonna turn out; looks like you're on the right track.

I love making stuff, I just dont have the time to dedicate to enough projects. More people should push their limits and make stuff IMO:)

Cool thread! Good luck with it! I always thought Ger's homemade saddles in his book looked amazingly cool in every respect. Btw, Gerr, where they comfortable and/or effective, or do modern saddles beat them out??

Cool thread! Good luck with it! I always thought Ger's homemade saddles in his book looked amazingly cool in every respect. Btw, Gerr, where they comfortable and/or effective, or do modern saddles beat them out??

seeing those saddles are what made me think it was even possible. heres a few more pics of last weekends progress. i really liked the dual bridge on the nikosi, so i incorporated the idea into my design. btw, those bridges are temporary, just to figure out the right lengths. ill splice some permanent ones when i have it dialed in. thanks for the encouragement. jaime
IMGP0495.jpg IMGP0494.jpg IMGP0496.jpg

Well get up a tree! Are you going to put in the means to strap it to your body or did I miss something?

there are buckles at the waist and legs, ou just cant see them in those pics. ill take some pics of it in the tree in the next few days

Back