ISC Pulley

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Any see this? I found it at Steve's place. Very interesting, don't know if I could trust such a thing.

Whaddya think?

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 72
My first thought is why?

Next up, an overhand knot is about the most inefficient choice.

Lastly, why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am just referring to how the prusik is slipped through the pulley, a overhand knot is then tied and acts as the termination.

I don't own this pulley, or plan on purchasing, it just looks silly to me.

Im assuming the tech cord terminated with the over hand knot is tied into a friction hitch above?

If that were mine, I'd swap the overhand for a backed up slip knot. It'd be much easier to untie.

Too bad you couldn't do this with a closed friction hitch.

love
nick

If that were mine, I'd swap the overhand for a backed up slip knot. It'd be much easier to untie.

Too bad you couldn't do this with a closed friction hitch.

1- A slip knot on your lifeline is a horrible idea and I cannot imagine any scenario where it would be acceptable.

2- Why couldn't you do that with a closed hitch?

This ISC pulley, http://www.iscwales.com/whatshot/2008/may/index.htm is rated to have a load attached to the end. For years the Petzl Fixe has been used as a slack tender with the friction hitch terminated on the piece between the cheekplates. The Fixe wasn't designed for this configuration and I don't think that Petzl rated it either but I might not be current on this.

The pic on the website sure doesn't show the pulley in it's best use.

Back