Is this Mac a POS

NickfromWI

King of Splices
My neighbor came by with this saw and asked if I wanted it. He said it doesn't run and needs a new chain.

Is it even worth the cost of a new chain?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392246913.203796.jpg

love
nick

Nick,

The MAC3516 is my old backup saw. Doesn't have a lot of power and it can be a PITA to start, but it's small and light. Then again, I really need to tune mine up and engines are not my forte. If yours has some life left in it, I would keep it around for light trimming until it dies on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just saw one on eBay for $60. Shoulda checked there first. It looks like it's barely one step from a poulan

love
nick

I had one of those for a loaner. Let a good friend borrow it, and he called insisting I sell it to him. Said he absolutely HANDED IT to his neighbor with a WildThing. All I did was a little muffler mod and put a decent chain on it. Those ALWAYS need fuel & oil lines. The oil lines break right where they come out of the tank. You have to remove the engine covers to change that oil line. The oil pump is behind the flywheel. The delivery line from the pump is quality rubber, and never fails but the oil suction line is crap. I have seen several with broken oil tanks right at the threaded filler neck. They came in 32, 35, & 38cc versions. The rigid handlebar ones are better. It is definitely worth grabbing.

I probably wouldn't invest any money into it if you already have enough saws to keep your business flowing along. If you think you could stand to have an extra beater saw around, price out the repair. I like to keep a junk saw around for brush clearing. Constant up and down revving has proven to smoke the crank bearings on some saws. Having a disposable saw handy for that sort of task might not be a bad idea.

Get it running and use it for root pruning. I have a husqy 350 I call The Red Headed Stepchild and beat the hell out of, use it as a loaner, flushing shrubs, and all the other nasty work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah. Chainsaws suck for root pruning. We do it with a sawzall and a carbide cutter. It's like butter baby!!

love
nick

If it is free, you can probably get it singing for $2 worth of fuel line. I won't pay any $ for those anymore, but I take 'em for free.

Does it say McCulloch any were on it or is it just labled Mac?

These are 20hr engines...

Magnus,
My MAC3516 says McCulloch Corp on it, lists the Model and Serial numbers on it.

It may be old, but I have gotten a lot of good use out of it - would like to keep it if it's worth replacing the sprocket/chain and tuning up.

Can you explain what you mean by "20hr engine" and how would I know if mine is the better or worse version ?

Thanks,
Michael

Magnus,

It may be old, but I have gotten a lot of good use out of it - would like to keep it if it's worth replacing the sprocket/chain and tuning up.

Can you explain what you mean by "20hr engine" and how would I know if mine is the better or worse version ?

Thanks,
Michael

I was told by my Stihl dealer mechanic a few years ago that the homeowner saws by Stihl were designed for a 20 hour life span...doesn't sound like much to a tree guy. But a homeowner might use one 2-3 hours per year..so it should last 6-10 years. I'd like to hear if Magnus has the same info, too.

Magnus,

Thanks,
Michael
This is a consumer grade saw. It is the lowest of grades ain quality and performance.
There was a classification system in 80's that Husqvarna used that was a bit more informative then a lable on a classification.
It described theamount of runtime that can beexpected so you easier can see how much you get for your money.

Consumer: 20hrs runtime
Hobby: 20-500hrs runtime
Farmer/Rancher: 500-1000hrs runtime
Semi Pro: 1000-2000hrs runtime
Pro: 2000+hrs runtime

This is not a set goal, rather a minimum required number.
Most saws ran more than this, but some don't. A saw placed in wrong grade class would soon be shown it was out of place and selection for customer was easier.

MAC 3516 is not a McCulloch made saw, in the sense most mean. It has been made in a ton of versions and countless brands. AL-CO, Ginge etc..
This saw hrs runtime

I was told by my Stihl dealer mechanic a few years ago that the homeowner saws by Stihl were designed for a 20 hour life span...doesn't sound like much to a tree guy. But a homeowner might use one 2-3 hours per year..so it should last 6-10 years. I'd like to hear if Magnus has the same info, too.
Yes, home owner class saws are not made to run much or be high performers. They are at best built to sit well over time and start if needed.
Usually that includes same issues like all other saws when they sit long.
Most saws I see here that is consumer grade has not run 20 hrs.

This is really interesting. Sounds like I wouldn't want to put much effort into my old first saw.

Based on your chart, the Husky 460 I have should get me much better mileage.

I am curious about 2 things you said:
1- Where did you get this information from ?
2- That is a lot of run-time for both "semi-pro" and 'Pro' categories. Seems a bit 'odd' to differentiate between them ?

Magnus, I was once told that the Stihl 026 had the same engine in the pro and farm boss models as far as block and cylinder.
Do you know if that is true?
I've known people to put an astounding amount of hours on the farm boss models, but never bought one myself, since I can't run a saw w/o heated handles.

Back