Insect and bites

If you're not pruning very large trees on a regular basis then being able to set a friction saver from the ground is almost an obsolete/redundant skill. Sure its a more efficient climbing system but its going to take time to learn this skill, lots of good old fashioned time before you become proficient.

Yup.... I did a video kind of explaining it but I was using SRT and since the line was already there from the Wraptor ride, it was easier to use that instead of a retrievable set up. But I have done this before with Ddrt on conifer. Over a couple of good sized boles, tie off at the base and a pully for the climb line. Just have to have some good branches to go over for the added forces.

Way easy, if they will stay in place. The leather gets polished from use. If you have a pitchy or fragile bark on the tree, they can be useful for the SRT redirect to a base-tie.

I think that's what Jose was talking about, his friction saver got stuck and he just dropped it with a cut....either that or it was a message to the maquis to destroy an 88mm ammo dump......

Another nice thing about the leather cambium savers, cheap enough if you HAVE to leave it stuck overnight or forever. Not life supporting. I went to all the trouble of splicing a crap load of ring and ring friction savers and I always end up choosing the leather.

I always used ring and ring friction savers.
I actually got fairly good at installing it from the ground, patience and bouncing throwbags on both sides was the key.

I also found that even if I didn't get my ideal TIP with a FS from the ground at first, at least I'd get one close then it was easy enough to climb up and re-set it to where I wanted it.
Often during a prune I would reset the FS (while climbing DdRT) several times. Never a huge problem.

Pulling outward as much as possible, rather than down, helps free some stuck ring-and-ring friction savers.

I started using the dmm thimble style FS,sweeet,have never got em stuck. Been almost a year using them now...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will try to set from the ground, .however I got me a 20' with a 2 eyes and a rope grab to help me going up, and will set a remote retrival on my main rope. That is my best plan right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will post asap, just order the rope and parts. I also waiting for this guy to pick up what I have cut down at this job , I need the room to cut the othe trees.

I still have about $150 worth of friction saver left stuck in a tree in Bermuda...a carabiner, a nylon loop and a small pulley. It's been up there now for about 4 years...

I still have about $150 worth of friction saver left stuck in a tree in Bermuda...a carabiner, a nylon loop and a small pulley. It's been up there now for about 4 years...

hahaha...there HAS to be a story there. Tree surrounded by cobras? Why would you leave it?

Although I did a cat rescue recently over a pen of pit bulls...in a downpour. The one chained inside its house would come out and glare at me once in awhile.

If I got a FS stuck in that tree I would just leave it, too.

It was a sub job...not my client.
Reduction of a row of white cedars on a boundary by a pool. Three day job. It was a false TIP juust hooked over a tiny stub and it got stuck. I would have had to spur up to get it. It was before Big Shot days and you all know I can't throw...and it was in among the other trees.
Last tree of the last day, last top...summer, I was pooped. To get back up to fetch it was too much for me, I said to myself I'd go back later...I never did.

Back