I'm a Dealer Rep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The ex can lift more at a longer radiuses than loaders, however. Oh, not a huge amount a heel strength either, moves the load's center further out.

I've thought about building a heel boom, however.

I guess the limited times I saw the Beak I confused it with a Ripper. I still have my Boxer with BMG, so I as thinking a ripper would add to the fleet and a rigid rotator would be best. I do have a thumb so healing a load would not be impossible. What are you thinking?

I guess the limited times I saw the Beak I confused it with a Ripper. I still have my Boxer with BMG, so I as thinking a ripper would add to the fleet and a rigid rotator would be best. I do have a thumb so healing a load would not be impossible. What are you thinking?

Again, what are you planning on doing with the grapple?

I plan on a rigid rotator with a HD BMG for sorting/picking on demolition jobs.

A rigid rotator adds more stress to the grapple's body, as well as it weighs more than the hanging rotator. Depending on what you're doing, the BMG might work. The problem on an excavator and a rigid rotator is you can put some hefty loads into the grapple. Imagine grabbing a log and picking up the end. The grapple doesn't change angle because the bucket cylinder is holding it in place. Now the grapple is stuck in a hard spot.

Granted that's a worse case. For doing tree work (not land clearing) I believe I would have a hanging rotator on a heel boom. That way you gain the height you loose by running a hanging rotator, gain some additional reach, and have the ability to heel limbs (if you so choose).

For land clearing, I'll stick with a bucket and thumb unless I get a hydraulic quick attach that handles the hydraulic circuits as well.

If you weren't worried as much about weight, a rigid and HD BMG would be handy and tough enough I believe for most duties including stacking rock.

The question about the thumb was just curiosity. Thumbs sure are handy!

The BMG is right around 100lbs, the HD BMG's steel is 50% thicker so we are thinking it weighs around 170-180lbs. It also has a larger diameter cylinder and pins so I added a little more.

If you're stacking rock, Dave says the 36" valby 3 tine grapple is the way to go.

I'm going HD for my ex, haven't decided on the rotator or heel boom yet though. The heel boom would let me stack higher on the trailer if I were so inclined. If I get that house demo job I'll have an HD on a rigid to sort the burnable from the non. (Burying on site, burn in put then pile the rest on top)

I was checking out that rigid rotator on my buddies ex. I am not sold. I think I can weld an adapter to a bobcat quick connect and use the BMG I already have. Short term and short money. In the end I will probably get a hanging grapple and use the thumb to heal a load if necessary. Well see.

We could probably adapt your current BMG to a rotator as well, and switch the grapple between the mini hanger and the ex.

My biggest problem is Hydraulics. I only have enough for the grapple. If I disconnect, I can run the BMG. That is why I figure a conversion plate would be best. Short money for the short term, then go with what is built for the machine. My biggest problem is getting used to everything being perpendicular to the machine.

My plan is to add another 2 aux circuits to the ex so I don't have to disconnect the thumb and can have rotation and grab.

Now you're talkin 21st century. How does one add hydraulic circuits? I am sure it is just plumbing, and I have heard of solenoids, but what is involved?

Plumb your existing aux line into this, that splits it into 2 circuits. Plumb another into one of those and you have three. Then run them down the boom for your attachment(s). From there, add momentary buttons to your joysticks, and probably a separate panel with toggle switches for continuos operation. You can get creative with relays so that when you push one it disengages the other toggles or whatever your heart desires.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-5117&catname=hydraulic

Imagination is a powerful thing!

I plan on having my quick connects on the main boom, to keep them better out of harm's way.

I would also weld a short piece of tubing on the ex's quick connect going to the grapple, perhaps 2-3' long. The idea is to give you a larger range of motion, allowing you to reach farther, higher, deeper, and closer.

I'm going to be getting a grapple sooner than later, got a job coming up where it will save some serious time

Had another idea...

Use that same valve, and put it into the boom swing cylinder. Put another on the standard aux circuit.

On my machine, the boom swing is on the right foot. I'm thinking that would be the rotation for the grapple (and boom). That electric valve would be switched by a toggle switch I believe. The aux circuit would be switched by the trigger button on my right joystick as well as a toggle switch if its operation is to be continuous. The third aux could come from the bucket cylinder, if it was needed. The advantage would be the ability to multifunction the auxiliaries.

Now I just have to figure out what style rotator (hanging/rigid) and what kinda hanger (ie heel boom) I think is best. The current grapple need is for tree work.

Tree work just feeding a chipper? On your minix ? We just use a dirt bucket with a rigid thumb, works like a charm and no extra rigging , or wiring. But the rotator looks like it would be nice.

I sold my chipper last August (186hp Morbark 2400), we hardly ever used it.

I already have a hydraulic thumb, which great on clearing work. This job is essentially picking up trees that have fallen over along the roads on a customer's property (aesthetics). We did the same thing last May, although he had us do some clearing then as well.

The theory is to go through with the ex and consolidate the material into piles along the roads then come back through and load it out. Some of the area is too wet to drive the loader, as well as the ex being faster at cleaning an area up without using manual labor (picking up the small stuff). The grapple will allow snaking the trees through the other trees easier than with the thumb.

I think with a grapple on the ex, like with a mini, healing the load or even steering it is a huge benefit. The thumb is great, but a grapple is awesome. I have a quick attach, so switching to a bucket is nothing. I agree, push it pull it, lop the stump, and stuff it in the chipper is awesome. But maneuverability is even better.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDySUg5MW8c?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SDySUg5MW8c?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'll be hauling my Gehl AL540 to Charlotte on the 23-25th of April for a demo at Bartlett's research park. If anyone around the path indicated above is interested in a demo, let me know and we'll see if we can work it out!

ScreenShot2013-04-03at10045AM_zps130ee21b.png

Carl, you might be better served if you go April 13-14 when they have the Charlotte tree climbing comp. Tons of great tree guys show up for that thing every year.

We were invited and put up by Bartlett, and Gehl is paying me to go. They've bought a handful of machines from us already. This is the annual national manager's meeting/conference.

We will be back in Charlotte in November for the TCIA Expo, hopefully the local turn out will be pretty good then as well.

Updated path. Currently I'll leave Sunday the 21st for checkpoint B. Arrive at C Tuesday morning, leave Friday. Going up into Tennessee isn't a problem if anyone is that way, checkpoint D is flexible time wise.

ScreenShot2013-04-04at54812PM_zps1856a867.png

The new HD Scoops!

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ooa2Osicwb0?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ooa2Osicwb0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back